Speed instead of length in delay modules

I'm a bit short or terminology so please bear with me. Tape delays (and emulations) can have their repeat rate adjusted by changing the tape speed, which leads to changes in pitch. BBD delays can do a similar thing by changing the clock rate at which the capacitors containing the buffer are read. Drambo's Delay FX and Delay rack, on the other hand, have a length parameter, and adjusting/modulating it in real time leads to different results.

Can a speed/rate parameter be added to the modules, or add new modules that have it? Alternatively, is there a way to simulate this with a combination of modules? I know I could wait for AU hosting and use one of the many options we already have, but I'm still curious about the possibilities within Drambo.

Comments

• edited December 2020

There are 3 audio delay modules. The Delay Rack has a modulation input for delay length. Patching into that will give you your classic BBD chorus sounds, and more. Watch the depth though, as it's quite sensitive.

edit: oh yeah, the Feedback Send + Recieve modules are also a variable delay with a mod input. Can also do delay time modulation.

edit 2: rereading your initial post more carefully now.. what kind of behavior are you looking for by modulating delay time? I see now you were already aware of the Delay Rack's input, which I skimmed over at first.

• @aleyas duh, I did mean to mention that explicitly but forgot to do so. I'm looking for the typical pitch changes that happen when you speed up/slow down the speed with which the tape/buffer is being read. The length in both modules only cuts or extends the buffer (which I think is the right behavior considering the parameter name).

I hadn't considered a feedback/send receive pair, but without access to a buffer I'm not sure if that'll help.

• edited December 2020

Hmm, I think I know what you're getting at. I tried to make a slow motion effect, by taking the delay input and rapidly reducing its speed by 50% (with a graphic modulator triggered by a gate). It works, but it's not perfect - the input gets cut out of the delay zone and sounds at regular pitch after a duration has passed.

I'd like to see more development in this area, of processing longer audio buffers. Hopefully we'll get some cool modules in the future.

• @aleyas thanks for taking a look, like I said I don't really know the terminology (much less in English) so I appreciate the effort :)