CV Sequencer II Mockup

edited December 2020 in Feature Wish-lists

I love the CV sequencer. Easily one of my most used modules. But It’s not great for making accurate pitch sequences (I know, because it wasn’t designed to).

I’d like to suggest either an update to the current CV Sequencer, or a new “CV Sequencer 2” module. 

The new module has a pitch CV input. Pitch CV input is active when the ‘REC’ button is engaged. The current ‘step’ will record whatever pitch or cv is present at the input. Move to next step with a gate signal. Disengage ‘REC’ to stop writing CV to the sequencer. 

This would probably require the CV Sequencer to operate bipolar for full pitch range.. I added a ‘bipolar’ button, but maybe if it becomes a new CV Sequencer 2 module, it could just be bipolar by default. Or be an option in the module settings. 

Benefits / Use case:

-step record pitch sequences when both pitch CV and gate are connected to the sequencer.

-enter CV sequences easily and accurately (no more faffing with quantizers and scale modules.)

-primary function to be used when accurate pitch is needed - oscillators, v/oct filters, etc.

I would really love this for a lot of reasons. It would streamline a lot of modular sequencing when the main timeline sequencer isn't the primary driver. Hope @giku doesn't find the mockup too offensive haha

Comments

• edited December 2020

@aleyas Why don't you just enable grid snapping and change the grid size to the number of semitones you want?

• edited December 2020

@rs2000 Compared to writing a cv sequence, I think that setting grid to snap, trying to determine what the current pitch you have selected is, and then running that through a graphic shaper to extend its range below C2 isn’t nearly convenient nor quick enough. It’s already fiddly, which is why I suggested this. I don’t think that’s a replacement for this kind of step entry.

For instance, if I just want a 7 step sequence of notes that I already know, it would be much quicker to simply write that into a sequence. I know there are plenty of workarounds - like recording the cv into Flexi and playing it back via offset by sequence - but those are all rather inconvenient, and many other people may not want to patch that on the fly, nor necessarily know how to.

After all, when you’re in the moment with a musical idea, sometimes less fiddling can be good.

Perhaps a different name would be more illustrative - “Pitch Sequencer”. Sure, Drambo can get there with patching, but doesn’t have an easy breasy module for it yet. I don’t think the idea is too much of a ‘canned solution’.

• @aleyas I agree, nothing against a recording function in the CV and Gate/Velocity sequencers. Maybe it would be a good idea to increase the step range to 32 at least.