Controller for AU Host Mode

Comments

• That’s awesome! Love the small footprint too, all my old Behringer controllers take up way too much real estate, and they look like dinosaurs compared to the Faderfox... ☺️

• the size is great, weighs very little too.....and doesn’t drain the iPad battery as quickly as my LCXL so i can jam for longer without needing a power supply/bank

very happy with it and can recommend it as a great option for controlling Drambo

• @drewinnit how did you move from track to track? I did not see you moving from scene to scene using the pads or the crossfader, but there're plenty of movements between the hosted AU3's, right?

• @cozido i don't quite understand your question? There's only one scene....by muting/unmuting channels I create the variation.

• edited January 2021

After mapping Drambo's pads to MIDI controls, you can use them both for selecting scenes and for selecting tracks.

By default, hitting a pad selects that track.

If you press one of the two scene buttons next to the crossfader, the pads will act as scene selectors until you hit the same scene button again. By choosing "momentary" MIDI controls, the mapped scene buttons will work like shift buttons: Hit a pad to select a track, hit a scene button + a pad to select a scene.

• edited January 2021

@drewinnit I see, it was done with one scene.

@rs2000 Thanks for the clarification, that works out very well! Clever!!

• What about the p32dj from Hercules : seems a great one !!!!!

• edited January 2021

Oh shit, that’s a lot of controller power. So it’s actually going by to happen?

There’s a Behringer dealer right next to my house (basically the only synth dealer in the country I live in too) so I’m definitely gonna get this when released.

Now if only they’d make a new BCF-16 or something too!

• Two X-Touch Compact controllers next to each other will give you 16 motorized faders and 32 encoders for the price of a faderfox MX12.

• Uh... can’t believe I’m all excited about a behringer midi controller, but the original bcr was probably the most useful/flexible controller I ever used, though 3rd party editor support was needed and will surely be missed this time.

• Yeah, I'd probably still buy a BCR 32 even though I've held off on all modern Behringer. Who knows when it'll come out though. And whether they mocked it up for any reason other than to dig into Korg's SQ64 sales :P

• New and improved...

Originally Posted by Behringer FB

Wow, we're blown away by the amazing feedback - 3,500 likes in a single day:-)

Do you know that the original BCR2000 is actually 15 years old? The original designers Bert and Thomas are still with us and thrilled that their baby gets a second life. 

Please find the BCR32 feature list and let us hear your comments:

USB/MIDI Controller/Sequencer with 32 Multi-Purpose Encoders and Polyphonic 32-Step / 4-Track Zaquencer

• Universal USB/MIDI controller for triggering audio clips, MIDI events or any MIDI equipment

• Highly-acclaimed Zaquencer from ZAQ Audio for unmatched sequencer performance

• Compatible with popular DAWs or other music production software

• 32 multi-purpose encoders for custom assignment of parameters

• 4 virtual groups and 8 dual-mode encoders with push function

• 20 programmable buttons, assignable as note on/off, control and program change, MMC and system exclusive data

• All panel elements are freely assignable, manually or via user-friendly learn mode

• 32-step, 4-track Zaquencer featuring mono/polyphonic drum and note tracks

• Storage of all global parameters and up to 192 patterns, each consisting of 4 tracks

• 2 independent MIDI controls per track (program change, aftertouch, pitch bend, CCs)

• 4 CV/Gate and Sync connectors for controlling synthesizers, drum machines and other equipment

• 2 assignable footswitch connectors for handsfree control

• Multi-function OLED display for easy control of all parameters 

• High visibility multi-color LED feedback to show status of all controls 

• 1 MIDI input and 2 MIDI output connectors to serve as additional USB to MIDI interface

• MIDI input with merge function for cascading several control units

• USB powered compact design for ultimate portability

• Compatible with Apple iPad* via USB Camera Adapter (not included)

• Class-compliant MIDI/USB protocol for "plug and play" operation

• 3-year extended warranty upon registration

• Hey, it will include the Zaquencer. Cool.

• Yes, especially considering Zaquencer sells for €79 by itself!

• edited January 2021

I set up the LaunchPad X a few months ago to control a ton of Drambo. Here’s a walk thru:

No knobs of course, but plenty of physical and touchy interaction which is nice.

• Hey @echoopera I have a question about the drum layout you’ve shown at 3:35. Can it be set so it acts as 4 big drum pads (one drum x each colour) or is it individual pads per sound?

I’m asking because I was musing at some point about using launchpad as a controller for playing with whole hands and take advantage of aftertouch pressure. Would that work?

• edited January 2021

It wouldn't work yet because Drambo's MIDI Key Pressure Modulator lacks a note parameter which is required for evaluating polyphonic aftertouch from the Launchpad X. @giku is at it.

• edited January 2021

Not sure if it would achieve what you want, but you can assign each Pad in the grid any Channel and CC# you want in the template editor. You have up to 4 Templates to customize and switch between when connected to your synth, daw or modular setup (AUM or Drambo).

• i admit it was an unorthodox idea so I wasn’t expecting there would be a template for it. I was basically thinking of using launchpad for bop pad style drumming but I guess it would need a mode where all of the pads in one group send the same note on the same channel but the problem would be that Drambo would retrigger the note several times if I just bashed several pads at once with the palm of my hand. Crazy idea!

• edited January 2021

There's another, just as unorthodox way to achieve what you want: Use the 8 voice polyphony of Drambo.

Simple example: Add the outputs of multiple voice selectors fed from MIDI to CV and use the result as the velocity. The more pads you hit, the higher the velocity you get. By combining 2 tracks, you can use a 4x4 pad grid and 16 velocity levels, even with an old launchpad that doesn't support (poly) aftertouch.

• I found this controller today on reverb and was surprised by how cheap it is. A beatstep is probably still a better deal but the small size appeals to me, could be great for mapping live performance ccs or synth controls https://reverb.com/item/26560108-usb-midi-controller-with-16-potentiometers-dub-nickname

• @quartzite Pots vs. encoders. Pads or no pads. Polyphonic aftertouch for expressive playing or nothing. You decide.

• yea totally. I already own a beatstep and am good with it :) but I am excited to see midi controllers keep getting cheaper.

• I am really hoping that Ableton’s move to include up to 16 Macros in racks will mean more controllers, including key controllers, come with at least 16 knobs on them. I love my LaunchControl because it is 16 well built MIDI knobs with switchable user and factory templates. It doesn't have encoders, but it is compact.

I an trying to wait patiently while @giku implements additional MIDI control-related goodies before picking up with more control. The LaunchControl XL looks tempting to pair with my LaunchPad X!

• Finally decided to post this for everyone to download.

Here are the Drambo setup (with included Instrument Racks for Aparillo, Continua, FRMS, Quanta, DrumComputer and FlexiSampler) and the LaunchPadX template (just use the Novation Component app to transfer it to the LPXMK3)

Drambo Template with Midi Mapped to LPX:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkSsl84VDRZRrjxvTXqUaMePPigY?e=heg3dG

LPX Template:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkSsl84VDRZRrj88NmRyQlxgyZnN?e=Ja6W6f

• An odd one, the Samson Conspiracy:

• Wow! Looks like a great all-in-one controller for Drambo.

Endless encoders and velocity sensitive pads!

I hope that the XY pad also sends touch on/off information.

Great find!

• edited February 2021

Yes, I had it on my radar some years ago but negative reviews dissuaded me. Do you have one? @cozido

aftertouch!

knob acceleration!

Looks like Quneo’s mechanical sibling.