Flexi Sampler change loop pitch AND maintain sync

Hi, Trying to get my head around Flexi Sampler loop sync. New to Drambo. Historically way more familiar with Ableton.

I'm wondering if it is it possible to re-pitch a sync'd loop without losing sync or changing project tempo?

4 beat sync is only 4 beat sync with a C2 note it seems in Flexi Sampler.

For example a loop in Simpler in Ableton can receive any note and re-pitch the loop but maintain the sync.

I'm expecting 4 beat sync to be 4 beats regardless of what note I play or even pitch knob setting. Shouldnt that re-pitch the loop but maintain the sync?

Any clarification would be much appreciated...

Comments

• I guess my above use case is playing the whole loop in sync at different pitches.

I am loving slicing the loop and using the start slice on Note or Random. Then the pitch knob or sequenced notes (in Note mode for start slice) make perfect sense!

I suppose you could use this method in Note mode and use some midi device (which I havent discovered yet) to ramp notes through the slices

• edited February 2021

Have you tried the pitch shifter module?

• I have now. Thanks for the tip. It does work but ... it seems to me that returning the shift knob to 0 seems to leaves some quite audible artefacts. Sort of "phasing" with HPF. Sorry for poor description.

When you load the device it all sounds at normal pitch. After moving the pitch knob and returning to centre 0.00. It sounds different. Does that seem right?

You can remove with the dry/wet knob I guess but once the pitch knob is moved returning to centre does not give a dry sound.

• did you double click the shift knob and reset it? its possible you have pitch is set to like .004 and the display is rounding down.

• Yep definitely checked that one. Thanks for the suggestion.

To my ears just adding a Pitch shifter and using the dry/wet with no touch of pitch knob sounds different when wet. When played against a click track it seems to slightly effect the timing as well.

• edited February 2021

This is quite common behavior for pitch shifters. It's already one of the better clones though.

Pitch shifting, unlike re-pitching a sample by just playing it at a different rate, is always a lossy process.

An alternative is to slice your sample, trigger the slices separately and re-pitch their playback rate. Each hit will get shorter with higher pitch but the pitch and timing will be correct and by using tricks (crossfading with a delayed version or adding short reverbs at the right positions) you can often work around the negative side effects.

• Yep ok, thanks very much for that explanation. Makes sense. Much appreciated @rs2000