Scene Slider question

Hi!

I am new to Drambo, so I hope this question is not too basic. On this video Ben Richards explains pretty nicely how to use the slider to decide which step is played, based on the condition selected for each step.

Now my question: Let's imagine a kick being played on the first beat of a 4x4 example. The first 2 kicks belong to scene A and the last 2 to scene B. If I place the slider on A I hear: kick, kick, silence, silence. If I place the slider on B I hear: silence, silence, kick, kick. So far so good. Now the part that I find a little bit counterintuitive. I would have expected that placing the slider in the middle would be playing everything (kick, kick, kick, kick). But that is not the case. It always plays either A or B. I think it would be useful when playing in a "live" situation to quickly change from a sequence being played partially (for instance the sequence only plays scene A or scene B according to where the slider is) to playing all of them (by having the slider placed in the middle, between A and B). Is that possible? Or do I have to copy everything into a new pattern sequencer for that?

Thanks!

C

Comments

• Hey cfour, I think you’d have to either play it on another pattern, or use a different mechanism with scenes to mute the steps.

Made a quick mock up of one possible solution. You use a n- switch and a few sequencers to change how gate signal gets passed to a kick. Middle scene position passes all gates. In this case scene slider is just switching through switch inputs, so you could have 2 or more configurations for just two scenes (A-B).

• That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the example and the video! That was very generous. I probably would have needed months before coming up with that idea 😅

Good thing that even with basic knowledge you can still do a ton of interesting things in Drambo, so the learning curve does not feel that steep 😁

• There might be simpler solutions! Drambo is like a puzzle game (in a good way). Once you solve a puzzle you learn 5 other ways to use the same principle.