How to ‘randomize’ note input going to different layers inside a track?

edited April 2021 in How to's

Hi I’m having tons of fun with the simple things, but now I’d be happy to get some direction.

Say I have a track, receiving notes from LK. Inside this track, I have a rack with a Layers module, each layer with a flexi sampler, each sampler with a clap sample. I’m looking for interesting ways to semi randomize which Layer, or Flexi sampler, plays. So having the input fixed, how to modulate, automate, randomize which clap sample plays? I guess it doesn’t need to be the same setup with the Layers and Flexi sampler module, just looking for creative ways to play different samples. Say, sample 1 plays almost on every input, sample 2 on many, sample 3 has a Euclidean rhythm to it. Perhaps some velocity randomization thrown in, and even transposing notes.

I guess this is where the math modules like AND, IF, OR and other ‘exotic’ (read the ones I’m still mostly clueless about) modules come in to play. If you can point me to a video, manual or article from the hardware modular world that I could reference from that would be great, Im happy to figure out stuff on my own, but these modules are still a mystery to me and haven’t encountered material that references these connections in hardware.

This is my track now, simple as can be. It gets notes from LK on the main.

Comments

• You could use a 1-n switch module that takes a gate input, and then route each output from the switch to the different Flexi gates. Then, use a Random modulator for the switch index. Each gate the switch receives, its gate output will be distributed randomly across its different outputs.

• @bcrichards alright! I’ll try that!

I gave it a go with an AND module and Rozeta Particles providing pitch and velocity. Does this provide the sample being played only when both Particles AND (in this case LK) the main track input provide a note input?

• yes, I believe so (if it’s taking the gate inputs). Is that the behavior you want?

• Something like that. Was is a song and looking to have the claps being a bit less static. Figured these mystical math modules might provide some magic. There’s a bunch of them and frankly I have no clue how to apply them.