Pitch bend range settings

Hi, i am stuck, i am in middle creating a new patch, but i want drambo to respons to the pitch bend in semitones not a whole octave. (using my roland xp30 ss midi keyboard).

So, how do i change the pitch bend range to lets say, 1 or 2 semitones ??.

The pitch bend module in drambo doesent have any help menu.

I did put the pitch bend module before the “midi2cv” and connected it to the track midi connection, nothing works.

I even tried to look up in xp30 manuel, trying to find pitch bend range setting and did messing around with xp30 to find this the pitch bend settings, cant find any pitch bend settings.

I thinn if i recall it, when using xp30 with cubase , the pitch bend stick (its a stick on xp30!), does -2 semitones bend and

+2 semitones bend, but in drambo, the pith bend on xp30 pitch bends to s whole octave, which is very anoying.

Comments

• I hate when its does that.

and i dont know the pitch bend module in drambo.

• edited February 2022

I tested this with my keyboard (Keystation Mini 32) and it looks like the Pitch Bend range in Drambo is one octave. The actual range of the Pitch Bend messages from hardware is always 0 to 16383, representing ±8192. That would be the same with your XP30. It's up to the receiver to determine the resulting bend range. In Drambo, the Pitch Bend is included in the note value from MIDI to CV. You can see it on a Scope, and it affects the oscs as you'd expect. No module is required to incorporate it. There is no setting to adjust the range. You could use a StreamByter script to scale the Pitch Bend values down; just need to be careful with the unipolar vs bipolar nature of the data tho'.

It looks like the Drambo Pitch Bend module is just a pitch bend source, adding bend to the input value. And of course, it also produces a one octave range, since it just inserts bend messages in the MIDI stream.

• This should work. I loaded StreamByter as MIDI effect in Audiobus. Input from my keyboard, output to Drambo Virtual MIDI port. In stand-alone Drambo, select MIDI input only from "Drambo" (under the blue tab at the left). Copy this and paste into StreamByter, then Install Rules to compile it. I realize this looks like a lot of steps, but they're required to convert 2 bytes into correctly scaled 2 bytes. StreamByter just sends the message out with the modified data. It also forwards all other MIDI messages unchanged.

#BendRange
    If load
    Alias $1 numbSemitones # desired bend range
    Alias $12 dramboRange # fixed Drambo range (octave)

# M1 and M2 are the bend value LSB and MSB in the MIDI message
    Sub ScaleBend
      Mat P0 = 80 * M2 # assemble 14-bit value
      Mat P0 = P0 + M1
      Mat P0 = P0 - 2000 # P0 is signed, so this works
      Set LB0 P0 +D # display original signed value
      Mat P0 = P0 * numbSemitones
      Mat P0 = P0 / dramboRange # scale it down
      Set LB1 P0 +D # display scsled signed value
      Mat P0 = P0 + 2000 # convert back to LSB, MSB
      Mat M1 = P0 & 3F
      Mat M2 = P0 / 80
    End

End # Initialization

If MT == E0
      ScaleBend
    End
    ```

• Thanks uncleDave.

In omnisphere , one can change the pitch bend range, if i remember it corretly, now its not about omnisphere but drambo, and properly any attempt to change the pitch bend range in xp30 ( if i could find the pitch bend menu), drambo will properly override / ignore this settings and pitch bend range will still be one octave -+.

Deffently i know i did use to change the pitch bend range on hardware synth and software synth, because i did it before , long time ago, but cant remember how i did it.

The only solution is, i think, is, to let cubasis record the pitch bend midi data, then edit the pitch bend midi date, if thats possible, neve tried it before.

Another thing is, when using the pitch bend om xp30 with drambo, drambo only goes down one whole octave, if you push the pitch bend to maxium, if. you only push the pitch bend a bit, drambo will actually go down / up by semitones, but this is diffcult to control exactly one semitone.

hmmmm.

• Sorry, never tried streambyter before, dont know what it is, guess is an app, where you can edit exclusive midi data ?.

I will try it.

• downloading streambyter.

• hope , there no in app purchase!

• Thanks, you've just helped me find more bugs ;)

• Well if this is a bug, hope giku will fix it.

I allways did find it unusual, drambo would go down

one whole octave , when using pitch bend.

I wish , the next update will contain settings for

pitch bend range.

• Exactly. It's not really a bug, just a missing feature. Many synth apps use a fixed pitch bend range, often ±200 cents, and they don't tell you what it is either. More sophisticated apps have a setting for it. And Drambo certainly should have a setting.

As I said before, the bend range has nothing to do with the controller; it always sends ±8192 units. It is up to the app to interpret those units as the desired range. Since Drambo uses 1200 cents for the full range, my script can scale down the Pitch Bend message values so they only reach 100 cents. Effectively, it edits the MIDI data on the fly.

And yes, StreamByter lets you write a script that can modify a MIDI stream, changing messages, adding messages, or removing them. It can do useful stuff, like adjusting note velocity, keyboard split with transpose, forcing mono playing, etc.

• Ok, i may have forgotton, this bend setting feature can be found on some software synth, etc, properly not hardware synth.

Anyway, the only problems i have, if i do a solo intro with a lead synh etc, doing vibrato / pitch bend, usually it sound best when bending tones in semitones, but a whole octave, way way down, ha ha, sound weird, thats why i cant use the pitch bend in drambo, but i will try your script.

Thanks.

• OMG thank you. This was driving me crazy. I’m sure we’ll see a pitch bend setting in the future, but for now it’s just perfect.