Note filters for Layers

edited May 2022 in How to's

I want to create a track with multiple layers so flexi lives on each layer for different samples, so I can pan, modulate them etc independently.

How do I set it up so each layer can only be triggered by a specific note or note range? This way I can use one track to sequence all the layers.

Comments

• Using the MIDI note filter.

• edited May 2022

You'll want to use several Note Filters here. The Note Filter is found in the MIDI section. You can select ranges to create groups and splits, or to pick out single, individual notes.

• Connect multiple Note Filters to the track head. The Filters will be in parallel.
    • Then, add as many MIDI To CV modules as you have Note Filters.
    • MIDI To CV 1 will connect to Note Filter 1. MIDI To CV 2 will connect to Note Filter 2, etc.
    • Add As many Flexis as you have Note Filters/MIDI to CVs. Each Flexi connects to it's respective MIDI to CV module.
    • For orginization, the Flexis can live in a Layers or Layers Mixer module, found in the Mixer section.

With Layers:

(in fact, the Note Filter and MIDI To CV can reside in the layers module too, which I didn't do hehe)

• Very helpful visuals @aleyas. I was using Note Filter but didn't realize that I needed to map to midi to CV, thanks!

On a related note, how do I set Flexi not to track on pitch and just play a sample at the default tuning regardless of midi note?

• Disconnect the Key follow from Flexisampler and that should do it.

• So, as I was playing with this setup, got an idea for a Velocity Filter. @giku This would work really well for layers where sounds would only trigger based on the velocity range. Could really create dynamic sound layers that way.

• @auxmux good suggestion, that reveals a little gap in the current logic module lineup, which a Window Comparator would fill nicely.

If Num is greater than A and less than B, then True

I’m picturing a logic module with 2 knobs for high and low threshold.

• edited May 2022

Yup exactly, thinking same.

@aleyas @rs2000 @gravitas @giku I've started using the midi tools in the max for live set here: https://midi2themax.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/MXL-Pack-manual-1.01.pdf

Lots of great ideas which would be perfect in Drambo too.

• On second thought, maybe the Window Comparator shouldn’t have knobs, just A, B, C inputs. We can just supply our own knobs with the Knobs module, or other value sources.

• I’d also LOVE to see Equal / Unequal logic.

A = B and A ≠ B

These may need a threshold knob, because of the very small value differences in CV.

• @auxmux @aleyas

The Graphic shaper is really good for setting high and low thresholds and

I think you can do the A=B using it as well by setting the line horizontally.

Off the top of my head you can't do A isn't equal to B.

• +1 for these, including a threshold knob!

Also, my first idea would be the Graphic Shaper like @gravitas said.

Not a replacement but a theoretical workaround until @giku finds the time:

XOR has the A ≠ B, AND has the A = B, THRESH is the "acceptance window size".

• What’s the feedback module do in your patch @rs2000 ? The above patch is an = function, where the slider acts as a threshold. Just change it to A>B for does not equal. It just takes the difference between two signals, converts to an absolute value, then checks to see if the absolute difference is less than the threshold.

• @bcrichards Feedback allows me to add adjustable hysteresis.

• I see hysteresis get used but I don’t understand :) does it acts as a kind of “memory lag” here?

• edited May 2022

No, it's rather boosting the positive once switched on so you need more of a voltage change to reach the negative switch threshold again and vice versa.

Speaking in terms of analog, it's basically the same as putting a high value resistor from the output of an OpAmp to its non-inverting input. The lower the resistor, the higher the positive feedback and the higher the distance between switching thresholds.

• thanks @rs2000 - I’m still not seeing the purpose here but I don’t really know anything about analog circuits to begin with.

• Isn't it great to have different options?

Your version is better in that it doesn't have the 10ms delay from the feedback module.

• @rs2000 yes there’s always several ways to approach any problem and each have their own flavor. What I meant was I can’t wrap my around how hysteresis works in your patch, not that it doesn’t have a purpose. Thanks for the explanation.

• @bcrichards ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Very useful information! This article contains truly outstanding data. Thank you for this explanation and for providing such valuable information.