Dram-d'Oh! : the tips & tricks thread

edited April 2020 in Tips and Tricks

This thread, which is Inspired by the Sketchup D'Oh book (thanks @SpartanClownTide) aims to collect the best tips and tricks you've discovered, or perhaps the things that weren't obvious when you started and gave you your own "D'Oh!" moment when you figured them out.

To kick things off, I'll share my biggest D'Oh moment in Drambo....

Comments

• edited April 2020

I can see cut/copy, but where is PASTE?

If you want to cut/copy modules from one track to another -- or perhaps cut a group and paste them inside a rack -- it can be a bit confusing to know where to find the paste button.

The solution is to pop-up the module browser in the location you want to paste and you'll see the PASTE command appears in the bottom left corner of this window.

D'Oh!

• edited April 2020

@TheInvisibleMan - I partly agree, partly disagree.

This thread is about all the things you might not realise you didn't know, so you wouldn't be searching a forum for them

Remember there are "known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns" :D

• Holding the MUTE toggle then tapping a pad puts it in SOLO

The Mute toggle button is very handy for quickly muting pads. You enable MUTE mode, then tap all the pads you want to mute.

But did you know, if you hold your finger on the MUTE switch and then tap a pad, it puts it in SOLO instead.

• This is a very valid point - and my fault because I forgot to explain at the start that once we have a good number of tip and tricks I will turn it into a nicely designed PDF D'Oh book.

• edited April 2020

One thing I struggled with during my first few days of using Drambo, and something I've seen others asking about, is how to set up a choke group between multiple pads.

The new MIDI MIXER module makes this simple.

In the example above, I'm routing both tracks into a single SAMPLER, and using a TRANSPOSE module to differentiate the two signals.

Quick video demo:

• edited April 2020

swap selected samples of pattern with one button press

so here it goes

take sampler

and have one keyboard full of BD

take another track and another sampler and have the keyboard full of Snares 

and so on ...

now program a beat

let it run

select edit

select some notes

press transpose 

it will swap the samples of selected notes

will pattern is running 😎

this is super cool

someone should do a video of it, as it really isn’t obvious

but it’s so simple and cool

you can go completely crazy with this if u use this and repitch main track ... (so its basically two tricks on top of each other)

if u only use the first trick its much more controlable as it doesnt swap everything but only selected notes ...

programming patterns with samples never was faster :)

• edited April 2020

(it basically works like the sample selector trick you can do in Ableton drum racks)

but its much more sophisticated in Drambo

giku first did this in isequence :)

hail to giku 🥳

he was first and best

meh at abelton now, lol 🧐

• edited April 2020

Freaky, I was just exploring this today. Uploaded a patch to https://patchstorage.com/mute-grouping/

Oops, yeah one problem with doing this as a mega thread is people making random comments are going to make a mess of it 😳 Sorry. I’m going to agree with TheInvisibleMan there. It’s great people are getting into this but it’s gonna be a monster without indexing, which leads to... yeah separate entries. Almost like Tips & Tricks was built for the job.

• edited April 2020

Another very nice trick

is to assign key follow to the Decimator

not only good for samples try it on synthesis too :)

It’s sounds really good

and is very musical because it follows pitch :)

drambo uses high quality dsp

this sounds nothing like reducing the samplerate in your audio editor

i love it

Let’s get wild 😜

I just love drambo, it really makes me think different about sound and couldn’t be easier to use.