Hanging note using external synth Haken Continuu Mini

Hi, I have the following Problem:

I use Drambo using a Linnstrument as masterkey controller and a Haken Continuu Mini as external sound module. All internal synths work perfect (also MPE plugins like Animoog Z or Roli Melody), thus the MPE of the Linnstrument works fine. However if I use USB Midi to external sound module Haken Continuu Mini I get hanging notes and even complete disruption of the midi connection to the sound module. I was wondering if someone has similar problems. Note hang appear randomly sometimes after a few notes sometimes more than 20 or 30 notes. As I connect everything in AUM the problem is not present at all. Seeems to be something in Drambo.

Any suggestion?

Stean

Comments

• So where exactly do the hanging notes occur?

• edited December 2022

I have had some issues with Drambo with what I would describe as “MIDI resolution” issues. Even in some cases of “humanizing” some notes can cause hanging notes; whereas quantizing will result in no issue. I feel that if the timing is slightly off or loosely unquantized, the note-off doesn’t get recorded for some reason. Just my experience, I’m fairly new with Drambo and I run the max sample rate, etc.

I’m thinking if you can get fine quantization control on your MIDI, you will eliminate the issue in Drambo but I have yet to find a solution that doesn’t involve the MIDI source.

Edit: Just to be clear, this issue has also happened to me on Atom2 so it’s not exclusive to Drambo. Atom2 will record MIDI precisely but won’t always save unquantized MIDI accurately.

• I’ve had some serious issues with cheap usb-midi intefaces (like failure to properly transmit sysex), it was driving me nuts to a degree that I thought the instrument was broken. But when I connected the instrument directly to the midi-port on the UR-242 the problems went away…

So if possible try with a different midi-interface and see if it helps.

• edited December 2022

Good point. I had cheap USB MIDI interfaces that produced hanging notes too.

• I had issues with broken midi messages last year, it turned out something had gone wrong with the lightning->usb adapter, I bought a new one & the problem was gone. It had me stumped for a while, it was the last thing I expected it to be.

• Had the same issue with Haken Eagan Matrix (still do) but the temporary fix here is using StreamByter's factory preset "Panic" just place an instance before your midi output and expose the Panic button, mapped to a switch here so you can hide the rest, just make sure you have 'brute force' turned on then it will always unhang the notes.