Kyma type spectral morphing

Yesterday on AB someone asked about certain Amon Tobin sound which got me thinking...

From what I understand these distinct sounds are made by spectral morphing. It's way over my understanding in general and especially in the context of Drambo but looks like an inviting rabbit hole.

Any input much appreciated!

Comments

• edited April 2020

Not possible in Drambo at the moment, but Giku has mentioned he has plans for spectral effects.

i’m a big fan of FFT stuff so I’m pretty excited about this possibility. I especially like having big window sizes, even though they introduce more latency. I like the way the Dtblkfx-vstplugin handles this, you can sync the latency to your daw tempo.

Maybe Drambo could have an FFT rack effect, which could house different kinds of spectral effects, and a selectable window size and overlap? Just dreaming here.

• edited April 2020

That Amon Tobin sound in the video posted on AB sounds a lot like a pucked string model.

These modules could get you going (somewhat, probably by using the Even Harmonics mode) but some physical modelling background would certainly be helpful to get the sound right:

• @dalle

Thanks,

That sounds promising and thanks for the vst suggestion, going to check that out.

In the meantime I'll pickup dervoco for a spin :)

@rs2000

Thanks,

I'm mostly interested in this morphing thing, rather than that particular sound. But yeah those modules get enough use here as well :)

• If you're interested in Spectral stuff, look at Amazing Noises Moebius Lab. It's a kind of spectral rack audio processor, that can work as both an AU, or host AUs. So you could combine it with Drambo in multiple ways.

All his apps (ApeSoft and Amazing Noises) are really good.

• @Cian

Wait, Moebius Lab is available as AU?

I know it can be host, but I wasn't aware it's AU too. Gonna re-download now.

Thanks

• Actually maybe I'm wrong on that...

• I'm sorry man - could have sworn it was an AU3. But now looking again it isn't. Dammit.

• Could have sworn I made a piece using it as an AU3 as well. Clearly I am losing it.

• recrec
    edited April 2020

Hehe, no worries, there is plenty around to be excited about :)

edit: on the second read it kinda sounds insensitive in these times...

• edited April 2020

For morphing sounds a phase vocoder is the holy grail. Remember the csSpectral csound app from boulanger labs? That kind of stuff (shame it didn't really work on iOS and is abandonware by now, afaict).

• @pedro

This looks very promising. Thanks for the tip!

• @Cian

Great, thanks!

Do you know if both source and target can be live fed into AU? L/R or multichannel AU?

Looks like a winner so far! 👍

• Multichannel - no. Given this developer I'm sure it's coming at some point, but currently none of his apps support it.

Live audio - not sure what the capabilities are there. I have a vague memory of support being added for it, but I've never actually bothered to investigate. If I get a moment this weekend I'll have a look. For me this is something I use for sample mangling - but live use would be very interesting.