Set parameters for modules at scene start

edited April 2020 in General app discussion

This is hard to explain, but...

Is it possible to change a specific parameter like a filter freq to a specific value at the start of a scene and set it? What I’d like to do is, for instance, mess around on scene 1 with a filter frequency and then when I trigger scene 2, the filter frequency goes to a set “start” value and stay there, but allow me to mess with it in scene 2 and not have it retrigger to that set value when the scene starts it’s loop.

Comments

• @drez

I'm confused...

"scene starts its loop"

Scenes are snapshots of parameter states, you can switch between or morph one into another...

• Scenes “can” be “if” you change a value and p-lock it in the next scene. If you don’t, the value will just be whatever the previous scene had.

Let me do tests in a bit (cooking dinner :)

• Ok, maybe this will explain better.

I would like to set the default value of a parameter to be set “per scene”. The issue is if you P-lock something at the start of the scene, it will go back to its default value on the next note on trigger in the loop. Then if I want to tweak that parameter in real time, it will always go back to the the P-lock value when the p-lock is activated again on the next loop.

On some scenes I don’t want to p-lock a parameter I just want to set it to a specific value for the duration of the scene. No cross fading morphs, just be able to tap a parameter and have an option that says “Scene start value” and set it.

This way you could basically reset a bunch of values when you switch scenes to allow a live performance to be much easier to control. You could be in scene 1 tweaking a filter while it loops and then when you select scene 2 the default value closes the filter completely (for example) so you can do other things.

Or even a “scene state” snapshot that you can set for the scene so that all the default values are whatever they are set to when you save that state.

does that make sense?

• While you enjoy your dinner... :)

Let's say:

-by default your cutoff is 1k

-scene a locks cutoff to .5k

-scene b locks cutoff to 1.5k

-scene c locks other parameters, but not cutoff

Now, let's pressure the fader is on the left...

if you select scene 'a' for the left side, cutoff jumps to .5k

if you select scene 'b' for the left side, cutoff jumps to 1.5k

if you select scene 'c' for the left side, cutoff stays at 1k (because there is no locked value for cutoff, but other parameters will jump to their set values.

if you select any scene for the right side, cutoff stays at 1k but will fade into whatever the endpoint of selected scene.

another example - fader again on the left

if you select scene 'a' for the left side, cutoff jumps to .5k

now select scene 'b' for the right side, moving the fader to the right will increase cutoff to 1.5k

now select scene 'c' for the left side, moving the fader to the right will leave cutoff at 1.5k while other parameters will move to their locked positions

Tweaking knobs that are locked to scene while scene active (active - selected and fader is at that end) won't change sound (because it's locked).

Hope this helps somewhat or help me understand what would you like to achieve :)

• Ahah... I think I see now what you mean...

let me have a cig to collect my thoughts :)

• So, you'd like to recall stored knob states (multiple states, through multiple scenes) and then be able to tweak parameters... if that's the case, all you need to do is keep one scene free of locks and after recalling stored states you switch to that "empty" scene (no parameters will move, nor they locked).

• recrec
    edited April 2020

Well, not exactly...

it's trickier than I thought, now after actually trying :)

• Haha, yeah I was having a tough time piecing it together. I think just having the option to set a parameters default value per scene would be huge. Going to open up a FR.

• I'm actually not sure if it's possible to implement through scenes. I think what you are asking for is called track preset :)

• @drez when say scenes do you mean patterns? What is the start of a scene?

• Oh man...I’ve been using the wrong term. *Facepalm Yes...pattern!!

• Wehehehehe...

• Ah yes, pattern locks would be great!

• Just a thought, the scene vs pattern confusion got me thinking :)

Can't you use a scene as "pattern preset"?

• Set up a scene (Let's pick D for Drambo!) with the preset you want for Pattern 1
    • Repeat - set up scene E with preset for Pattern 2.
    • The first step of the main track on pattern 1 gets a Once Condition + Scene condition with Scene D
    • first step/main track of pattern 2 gets Once+Scene E.
    • Look ma, no P-locks!

I haven't tried it and I'm not 100% sure how the Once condition works but at least in theory it feels as if it could work. It'd only be a workaround for pattern locks/preset but with the benefit that several patterns can share the same "defaults" by selecting the same scene at start.