How is the "Voice Number" Module meant to be used?

I've figured out the "Voice Selector" Module, and I'm having a blast building polyphonic round-robin "SEM type" synths using layers. :)

But, how is the "Voice Number" Module meant to be used? I can't figure that one out.

Thanks.

Comments

• i think it will cycle through increasingly higher values for each voice you play. So for 8 voices it will send low to high values as play voices 1-8...each voice 1-8 gets a higher filter cutoff, etc.

• The O-scope shows a continuous reading equivalent to the "Number" Module set to +3.

I can't get it to gate anything. If I put a "Voice Selector" module after it, I get nothing.

I get no pitch if I connect it to an Oscillator.

Have you, or anyone, an example for how to use it?

Looks like it might be an interesting Module to tinker with if I could figure out how to hook it up. :)

• edited April 2020

I got it working!

... I hooked it up to modulate Osc pitch, and it steps the pitch higher (or lower) as the MIDI to CV cycles through the number of voices set... As long as it's set greater than 1 voice.

I couldn't see the stepping on the O-Scope until I fed the Voice Number module output to modulate the knob of an AMP, and hooked the input of the AMP up to the Gate. Then the Amp output shows the sequential stepped voltage increase as each voice is played.

Now I understand what it does. :)

• Interesting. It doesn't work like this here.

When I connect the Voice Number module to the MIDI to CV gate output, it will always output a voltage that is equivalent to the voice count currently set, no matter if I play (polyphonic) notes or not.

In other words, it will ignore the actual number of voices played (which could be done by evaluating note-on and note-off messages).

• This one had me baffled, thanks for investigating, gave me a lead and I managed to reveal it’s mysterious nature with this.

Yeah, it just assigns an integer value to each voice, pretty much like it says. Doh. Trying to think up a use for it.

• Did you try connecting the Voice Number module to an oscillator's pitch knob?

Set the number of voices to 8, and press the same keyboard key multiple times. Do you get a stepped change in pitch with each key strike? (That's what I'm getting).

I'm still on iOS 12.4, if it makes a difference.

• edited April 2020

All the gates are held to the end of the sequence.

I don’t know why my screenshot has been decimated but you get the idea.

• Sorry yeah didn’t actually mean integer values (but that is what I wrote). I think it’s meant to be used as a modulator.