Sustain pedal cc 64 can be controlled and automated, but not with a sustain pedal?

Title says it all. When using the sequencer for external instruments, i.e. a piano, sustain midi message 64 can be triggered and automated by any cc knob on my controller, except the actual sustain pedal. If I turn on midi messages, sustain pedal appears like it should, but will not show up when I click learn on the midi cc modulator. Anyone know if its intentional? A bug?

Comments

• In the meantime, I wrote a Mozaic script that solves this issue. Just route your Midi input through the script before it hits Drambo.

https://patchstorage.com/sustain-pedal/

• In upcoming version v.1.0.4 CC64 will be available in MIDI CC modulator. In v.1.0.5 instrument rack and MIDI 2 CV will handle sustain pedal.

• Great to hear! Thank you!

• How do we use the cc modulator to control sustain?

• If you mean sustain as in sustain pedal behavior then you would have to hack together something for yourself. I started to build a truth table with Note On/Off input + output and Sustain On/Off messages and quickly understood that it's wiser to wait until @giku integrates it into the MIDI to CV module.

Also I'm not sure if that would be possible at all because we cannot control the note-offs of individual notes in polyphonic mode, at least I have no idea about how to achieve that.

• edited April 2020

This is a partial solution. The Amp gate is controlled by the logic. The oscillator is just for testing. I have no pedal, so I'm using the Mod Wheel, with Graphic Shaper so any non-zero input is ON. The Counter works as a flip-flop, set by the gate, reset only when both gate and pedal are off. The Amp gate is triggered by the gate input, and held by either the gate or the flip-flop. With no pedal input, this works normally. When the pedal is held, notes triggered and held before †he pedal, and notes triggered after the pedal are sustained until the pedal is released. The flip-flop logic prevents the pedal triggering notes; only the gate can trigger the ADSR. The limitation is that ALL notes are held until the pedal is released, so eventually you run out of voices. You'd like notes that have faded away to be released automatically, so more notes could be struck. Although, if the Amp Sustain level is non-zero, then an infinite hold is correct.

PS Why are these images cut down so small? I reduced this to 720x245, but the posted version is even lower resolution. Makes it difficult to read the labels. Ah, this image is now 320x108. Seems a bit extreme.

• Yes I am also having issues with image sizes.

• Aha. It looks like it's good ol' Apple doing what Apple does best, protecting us from ourselves. I posted this from my iPad Air, running iOS 12.4.6. It's a 172 KB jpeg, cropped from a screenshot. On my iPad 6, with iPadOS 13.4.1, it gets shrunk down to 12 KB. Sometimes, Safari offers options, "Actual Size" which is 32 KB, "Medium Size" or 42 KB, or Small. Obviously, it lies about these sizes. So, I guess this needs a bug report to Apple.

• This is a simplified version of my sustain hack. The counter output is used directly as the ADSR gate. It goes non-zero on the Gate and remains until Gate and Sustain are both zero. (A flip-flop would be nicer here.) Note that Negate here is the Logic Negate, which flips zero and 1. And I used A>B to convert the Mod Wheel to logic. Note that the B value must be ">0" i.e. 0.001, otherwise the comparator is always true, i.e. it's actually A>=B. As before, it works normally when Sustain is off. When Sustain is on, notes struck are held until Sustain is released. If Sustain turns on while notes are held, they are sustained also. Interestingly, the only function of Sustain is to prevent the counter from resetting. It doesn't directly affect the ADSR at all. This is similar to the piano sustain pedal, which prevents the dampers from resetting.

• More on the image resolution problem. The last iPadOS update was 13.4.1 on 04/07, and there are plenty of good images here, including one of mine, after that date. So this site may have changed somewhere between April 25 and 28, causing the photo posting mechanism to fall into this trap laid by Apple. @giku did you make any changes to the server recently? And can you fix this?

• edited April 2020

@uncleDave Indeed I enabled images downscaling (server quota is limited). Just changed this to x2 resolution, hope its better now. Sorry

• edited April 2020

Thanx. Hope so... Funny that it worked different on the older iOS (12.4.6). So Apple must have changed the way they handle whatever command the site is sending to really squeeze down the image resolution.

• No its Vanilla forum setting :)