Drambo midi make Korg Volcas freeze.

I guess this has nothing to do with Drambo especially, but it seems like volcas can't handle incoming midi over a certain point.

I had a patch modulating a couple of volca beats parameters by lfos, cv sequencers with slew limiter, a crossfader in between, but results were pretty inconsistent, freezing sometimes the volca.

What would cause that? Could it be avoided, cause when it works it is great.

I have an ipad pro 2017 and a cubit go to transmit midi.

Comments

• edited May 2020

Just guessing, but I suspect Drambo may be swamping the Volca with CC messages. Drambo seems to send a message whenever the internal, floating-point, data value changes. But MIDI CCs have only 128 levels, so many of those messages may be duplicates (same CC value). You could try quantizing the CCs, as I suggested in this thread, https://forum.beepstreet.com/discussion/404/controlling-other-apps-via-midi-cc-with-note-values-1-to-124 . That would only send a message when the actual CC value changed. This will slow the message stream a LOT, and might do the trick.

• I ran into this changing whole kits on the Volca Drum via MIDI commands. They don’t handle heavy MIDI traffic well. It didn’t freeze up but the results could be quite random.