Gui modifications

I know it's more development time , but this all helps to create pleasing workflow :)

The thing I find about modular apps is the sameness of the gui's can get a bit tedious to look at.

+ Would be great to have custom colour schemes of the gui

+ Ability to add custom GFX to the modules (think this will make patches and racks more pleasing visually and make the app more appealing to potential purchasers in videos online). Eg adding custom images and rack logos, backgrounds + patterns etc.

+ more knob/slider designs, or ability to custom design the look of them.

Comments

• Personally I would like the ability to select the colour of a particular module. Sometimes I find myself wondering which module is linked to which other module. This can be difficult because Drambo has a small colour palette so often modules end up sharing the same colour. If I could select the colour of a module myself, then it would be easier to see where it is linked to other modules.

Additionally it would be great if the number of colours could be increased - again to increase ledgibilty but maybe that's more complex.

Finally - the recent addition of AU hosting has made Drambo/iPad a serious competitor to my Push/Ableton/Mac - thank you!

• Yes please!

I would love to be able to:

A) choose the color of the modules and elements.

b) font

c) the most important for me given that my sight is poor, resize the gui (a la vcvrack)

• Yes, an option to zoom the UI would be nice indeed as I too am suffer from bad eyesight...

...it would be a good start to zoom the track/rack to make things easier to edit.

I'm quite sure @giku is aware of the requests regarding UI zoom 😎

• Yes I’m :)

• Someday, it'd be awesome to have customized knob labels based upon the value set for a knob. So instead of knob showing 0-1, it could show "Saw, Triangle, Square" depending on the knob value set.

Obviously this won't happen anytime soon, but it seemed like a good time to plant this thought :)

• edited February 2022

Yes. Or if a modulator such as a knob/slider 'automagically' displayed the target's value type / range.

E.g.:

'Cutoff' on the Analog Filter has a range of 8.18hz to 19,233hz (Type: hz // Range 8.18 - 19,233 // Increments: 0)

'Density' on the Retrigger module has a range from 1-16 (Type: Integer // Range 1 - 16 // Increments: 16)

'Length' on the Stochastic Gate Gen has a range from 1.0ms - 1.00s (Type: milliseconds // Range 1.0 - 1000.0 // Increments: 0)

'Size' on the Buffer Repeat has a range from 1/16 to 4 (Type: Beats (or Fractions?) // Range 1/16 - 4 // Increments: 9)

Knobs only display Min/Max from N to N (-1 to 1, etc) as set in the Knob settings. So if you're modulating e.g. the Buffer Rescan Size from a Knob, you can't be precisely sure which Size you've selected. (i.e., Size 4 = 0.75 on a Knob)

This is mostly a thing when making custom racks, where you don't interact directly with the modules themselves, but with a rack GUI that you've fabricated from buttons / switches / layers / knobs / sliders.

I thought of 2 solutions.

• Knob automagically displays the target's value and ranges. (so a knob modulating Filter Cutoff Frequency would display Hz, from 8.18 - 19,233)
    • New Custom Fields in the Knob settings panel. Type: where you input/select data tyes such as Hz / ms. / seconds / fractions / integers / etc). Range: where you select a Min/Max just like the Knob currently allows. Increment: where you select how many divisions the knob has, such as Sixteen increments for the Retrigger's Size parameter.

• @aleyas

Good suggestions.

My workaround is to use the Graphic Shaper so that I could see the ranges needed and to give them set values.

• @gravitas

i do similar things with N switches. Using them to display increments or selected zones. but switches and graphic modulators take up too much space in racks to have more than a few for such display purposes. I trust post 1.5 some refinements to racks and modules will be made

• This could be cool and I would use it. It wouldn't help for writing midi controller racks (for example controlling a dx7), which is the main thing I dream about having dynamic labels for. But my use case is only one of many :)

• Agreed.

Some of the things you’ve suggested have been suggested before especially having incremental knobs.

It could take some doing for new users to adjust either the Switches or the Graphic Shaper

for creating increments though saving presets for the Graphic Shaper assists greatly.

Presumably these are low priority at the moment and on

the flipside users get to know the functions of the modules much better.