Select multiple Steps for P-Locks

Hi there,

is it possible to select multiple Steps for parameter locks?

Cheers

Comments

• No but you can quick copy one to another. Hold one step and tap on other.

• Yeah - i know that.

What multiple selection could provide is changing the respective steps while the sequence is playing and therefore being able to sculpt it as a whole while hearing it.

The constant feedbac would provide a different creative experience.

MFB machines incorporate this kind of flow for example.

Do you think it is worth an implementation?

(and thank you for your answer on the topic🙏🙂)

Cheers

• edited April 2020

Have you explored the Scene Modes yet...just saw this from Ben today, and think it will do what the OctaTrack and OP-Z do with their performance modes:

• @echoopera

Yeah - as i am an octatrack user as well, i am very happy to see this concept within drambo.

And exactly this is what i am pointing at - its a concept which fosters creativity just by using it.

By selecting multiple steps for parameter locking, there is something emergent about it - like using a crossfader to blend different parameter values.

Maybe this video gives a good impression what kind if workflow can be achieved by selecting multiple Steps at ince and change parameters for that subgroup of steps while a sequence is running:

Cheers

• Not sure about the Octatrack but on the Digitone/Digitakt you can also select multiple steps and then make P-Locks for each of those steps, I do think it might become a little bit too fiddly on a touch screen though holding multiple buttons and then turn knobs.

• Yes. I envision selecting them beforehand. You can see in the video that he is selecting some steps (for example the offbeat steps) and then hes adjusting them while the sequence (and therefore their context) plays.

You could just shift+select them. They would just be permanently selected for editing.

Then you let the sequence play and focus completely on the sculpting aspect.

• +1 from the dr

• edited April 2020

@FFW suggested:

// You could just shift+select them. They would just be permanently selected for editing.

I find this the best option. I usually have iOS system gestures turned on and these won't allow me to tap on more that two screen positions simultaneously without side effects.

It's the same issue we now have with the keyboard - I always have to enable keyboard hold every time I want to add a chord to a step, this is quite a time waster when editing long sequences.

We would have to find a solution how to handle the SHIFT knob because currently, it has a different function (time-shift the sequence by a number of steps).

• Yeah, great - maybe the shift button could host two gestures like:

Shortpress: standard functionality

Then:

Longpress:

-->shift button activated for multiple selection (gives feedback - eg. Flashing/ pulsing)

Or:

Press-pulldown (same gesture as when typing in numbers on the standard ios keyboard):

-->shift button activated for multiple selection (gives feedback - eg. Flashing/ pulsing)

What do you all think?

(giku🙂?)

• I wouldn't mind if the shift button had this double function.

• 😂 Yes. 👍

• I think better even would be:

Longpress of the edit button. Then indicating the multiple select mide by pulsating/ flickering of the edit button.

That would be consistent within the "edit" paradigm.