Webdev file sharing

Really appreciate opening up the file structure, but I can’t get it to work.

i enter the address as given in the menu, but it asks me for a name and password.

has anyone gotten this to work yet?

Comments

• edited July 2020

No help without more details, sorry.

WebDAV requires software that supports WebDAV.

The only hint I can give you is that if some applications require you to enter username and password, just enter something.

• Sure!

I am using File app on the iPad. I connect to the addresses given. It asks me if I’m a user or a guest, guest doesn’t work and user asks me for a name and password. I put something in and it doesn’t work.

scratc

• edited July 2020

@jameslondon74 I'm surprised that your Files.app still has WebDAV support?

Apple has removed it in current iOS versions although they do support it now in their office apps.

Here's how to access your Drambo files on the same iDevice without any network enabled:

Download Readdle Documents from Appstore if you haven't already

Enable Background Audio in Drambo settings

Enable WebDAV

Open Readdle Documents (or another WebDAV file manager)

In its "cloud" section, hit "+ Add"

Choose WebDAV server

Enter this and hit "Save":

Open it and copy, move, delete, zip, share to your liking.

Fun fact: You can even use another iPad to manage Drambo files remotely, in that case you'll have to enter the IP address shown in the WebDAV sharing dialog.

• Awesome thanks, I'll give it a go.

• Thank you ! rs2000 I creep on you so hard. I appreciate all of your help and insight within the forum.

• It worked, eventually.

I didn’t realise you have to have Drambo open, with the WebDev page open. I’m not familiar with how webdev works.

i have to say though, this is an extremely inconvenient and fiddly way of accessing presets and saved sessions, and get them into my cloud (or wherever). Is there really no way of improving on this? Backing up is crucial, as a user it should be as simple as a press of the button, certainly shouldn’t have to download an entirely new app. And most apps offer this.

sorry for the grumbles!

• @jameslondon74 Backing up files the way you expect it is independent from WebDAV access.

I love it the way it is because I can access all files individually without the risk of creating a mess when restoring a backup or not being able to compress because all your samples are larger than the remaining free storage on your iPad. Also, you can upload complete folders to internet cloud storage so all you have to do is upload four Drambo folders. Not asking too much I think, other apps are much more troublesome in this regard.

What you suggest makes sense though, I've suggested it myself a long time ago:

A menu option to create a backup zip file of all files either with or without samples that asks you to "Open in..." after the zip compression is done.

@giku: What do you think?

• Fair enough. I mean I can handle it, but just think it could be easier.

we already have export and save as. I guess in an ideal world, Drambo would be visible in Files. But I’m ok with the webdev solution, now I have it sussed.

• Files.app could be an option if iCloud is used as the location....

...this is because an AUv3 can not directly access files outside it's 'sandbox' on the device but the AUv3 can access files stored on iCloud.

So for stand alone app only Files.app on local device could work but the files would have to be duplicated and stored in a hidden storage container so they can be also accessed by the AUv3.

This 'problem' is pretty evident when using SunVox as an AUv3 and the sync between AUv3 and stand-alone app is lost.

(Meaning it's manual open & save using the Document picker to move files back and forth between AUv3 and Stand-Alone).

Personally I would prefer an option where all Drambo files are stored on iCloud...

• iCloud will never be an option for me until I can have broadband internet everywhere.

I wouldn't want to give up transparent data exchange between the Drambo standalone and the AUv3 either.

• Yeh, I wouldn't go with all Drambo files stored in the cloud myself. I'm too often in situations where there is no internet access and it's too hit or miss whether files are cached on-device.

I look at all the rough spots with Gadget and AudioLayer's cloud implementation and it makes me even more leery. Drambo is lean, mean, and dependable. I'll sacrifice some inconvenience for that any day.

But - as long as it's an option and implemented without impacting the local storage only option as it is now, it wouldn't hurt.

• @TheInvisibleMan Sorry to disappoint you but it works perfectly on Windows, I've just tried with the free WinSCP (there's even a portable version available) and Total Commander plus WebDAV plugin.

I'm able to copy a folder with over 400 presets in a few seconds and I'd be surprised if you couldn't.

Both can copy folders, no problem, even the native Windows Explorer can, it's only much slower than the tools I've mentioned.

• Your Windows machine obviously has to be connected to the same WiFi network that Drambo has access to.

• Try WinSCP, it's the easiest to set up and it's quite fast. When connected to Drambo, select the folder(s) you want to copy, hit F5, choose the destination folder to copy everything to and hit OK.

• edited July 2020

You're right, people should at least be pointed at example software that works well.

@giku Would you please add a few more words on how to connect under Windows?

Like:

• Recommended: https://winscp.net/eng/index.php
    • Select "Session" => "New Session" from the menu or just CTRL+N
    • Choose "New Site", select WebDAV under File Protocol, No encryption
    • Enter the WebDAV URL shown by Drambo under "Host name" without the ":8080" and enter "8080" under "Port number".
    • Hit "Save", then "Login" to connect. The right explorer shows the Drambo files, the left explorer is your local storage. Select file(s) and/or folder(s) and hit function key F5 to copy.
    • Using Windows Explorer: Choose Tools => Map network drive => Enter the WebDAV URL in the "Folder:" field (Windows Explorer works too but it's slower).

Also, please make the WebDAV popup scrollable so it can be read on an iPhone screen both in landscape and portrait mode.

• @TheInvisibleMan Could you please look up your exact Explorer version?

You'll usually find it under File => Help => Info.

With Microsoft, you never know 😉