Will continuous (un-stepped) modulation recording be possible?

edited July 2020 in Drambo

Press Rec, tweak knobs, record fine values rather than fixed static steps?

Similarly, could knob positions for each P-locked steps be visible? Or is that too CPU heavy?

Comments

• Yes!

The whole app is so expressive, such a shame it's not possible to record in between finer values, there's a lot of musicality there.

• edited July 2020

Yes smooth automation will be possible quite soon, as a smooth transition between p-locked values. Working on this.

btw. Thats how Digitakt and Octatrack work. They record steppy p-locks.

btw2. Do you really think that Drambo is so expensive? :)

• Stepped P-Locks are perfectly fine with an optional interpolation between the values with 'stepped interpolation' as a bonus feature.

With stepped interpolation it would be like putting a S&H/Decimator/Bit-Reducer on a CV signal.

Or like in Renoise with an Intertia value with instant being the 'stepped' behavior and other values how long it takes for the value to reach its destination.

Workaround for now is to use a 'Knob' and route it thru CV Glide with the glide time roughly matching the step length before it reaches its destination parameter and then record the automation using the 'Knob'.

Cheers!

• expressive :)

haven't touched OT since D but from what I remember you can turn on slides between steps so it's kinda continuous.

• What about recording continuous automation into Flexi?

• @rec I'm 100% sure you can't do that on Digitakt.. its just an interesting fact

@samu I Inertia seems the most minimal and clear approach, but it has one downside: as its a one pole filter automation is lagged.

• @rec You are right, there are slide trigs in OT, somehow missed them.

• @giku

I'm not familiar with Digitakt, but in OT it's kinda works like a step component...

from OT manual:

A slide trig offers the possibility to make the parameter values of a trig to gradually slide to the parameter values of the subsequent trig

• Yes, just went through this in the manual, thanks! I like this concept and was thinking about something similar.

• DigiTakt and DigiTone have stepped parameter locks; Machinedrum and Monomachine did not (if I recall correctly).

Nice to hear that Drambo will get the possibility of smooth transitions too! I miss my Monomachine(s)!

• edited August 2020

That makes sense, I remember having so much fun modulating all kinds of parameters and effects with a lot of glide in the Monomachine, like tape delay for example, and getting very organic Sophie-esque results. I ordered a Model-Cycles recently and it couldn't do that so I returned it :) - OT has glide/slide but it doesn't have a synth engine, I mean beside the comb filtering tricks...

• That's amazing! I'm impressed with the upgrades, it's really becoming an expressive instrument.

• Is this still coming? Slide trigs were my favorite thing about the Octatrack and I haven't seen them implemented anywhere else