Drambo installation grows from ~100 mb to 1100 mb

Hello!

After install Drambo has the app's size around 100 Mb.

But today I found that its is more than 1000 mb.

Why it grows? And how can I cleanup its storage, if I can?

Comments

• Have you imported or recorded any audio/samlples?

• Hello, thanks for the answer. Yes I did - once I imported my Samples folder from Bm3. It is the copy somewhere inside Drambo now?

• Yepp, you'll have to use the WebDAW interface to manage the imported samples, or do it one sample at the time in the UI.

You can use an app such as Documents by Readdle to manage the files on the device or use a computer on the same wifi network.

I mostly use Drambo as stand-alone so I would have preferred a proper Files.app / iCloud integration...

• edited August 2020

Interesting subject!

With the new iOS file system, shouldn't a copy of a sample library occupy no additional space when directly imported from BM3?

• This is the point. I thought Drambo doesn't make copies of samples but looks like it does.

• @samu thanks for the hint. The size of Drambo app returned to small after removing the imported "Samples" folder. 👍🏻

• @giku What file operation does Drambo use when choosing "Import" from the Files section of another app?

I agree with @roman_ch that a 1:1 copy of the same file should not eat up additional space.

• iOS/iPadOS is still pretty, ok very bad at calculating the actual storage that is used by apps & files...

APFS allows 'virtual copies' as long as the files to not get shoved into other apps private storage containers (ie. they no longer visible to the Files.app). The file is only duplicated when changes are made to any of the virtual copies.

AudioShare shoves the files into its own storage container and exposes the files to Files.app using it's File Provider Extensions and these are highly likely duplicates. (I would love to see an option to skip using the file provider in AudioShare and go back to 'regular' iTunes File Sharing with the AudioShare folder visible in Files.app). The only reason I keep AudioShare around is to manage AUM recordings (wish it was possible to save them directly to the AUM folder in Files.app).

As far as I know it's also possible to 'soft link' to files from Files.app but since we're also dealing with AUV3 we still need to 'copy' the files to a location inside the sandbox...

• edited August 2020

When reporting file usage, iOS reports the file sizes once for each app whether or not they're virtual copies. This means that even though a file might not be taking up additional physical storage, it will be reported in every app that uses it. So, lets say you copied 1gb of files from one app to another, the total storage used on the device might not change at all, but it will be reported twice, once in each app's storage.

It's very difficult to know whether or not iOS is using virtual copies or physical copies, and how much actual physical storage any one app is using.

• @number37 You're right! I should rather watch the change in total remaining capacity.