clicks and clacks with the samplers

i am getting lots of clicks at the beginning with every sample i play in the flexi , haven’t really tried the other samples to much. as you can see i have long attacks on this thing but still experiencing it.... i’ve even moved the play head to a blank area in some samples and gotten the ol clack

here’s a file for reference, is this a crossover thing, my sample or a bug?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2uqrlt748m64h9/pad%20pad.drproject?dl=0

Comments

• Yep...I am also encountering these issues with my Samples as well. I'm just hiding the clicks in my pieces by masking it with a lot of Filter Cutoff and Delay. Hopefully someone can point out either error in my ways or that it is in fact a bug :)

• edited April 2020

ok cool yes that helped, i did have to bump it up to 8 voices to really make it stop but good trick!

i still get a click when i hit trigger for selecting this instrument rack , and when i press play to stop the sample

• edited April 2020

good call @TheInvisibleMan that’s def a good solution and my synth pad is not a kick drum now 🤣

• Its voice stealing... You have a long pad, ADSR is set to 10s in and 10s out, so it won't even react when you retrigger. Sample is instantly restarted on gate. Fade in and Fade out may help in Launch: Gate mode

Solutions:

• Increase polyphony.. if you want them to be released not instantly restarted
    • Use Sampler - it supports overlapping (2 virtual voices) and its designed for polyphonic instrumental samples.
  • @giku Thanks for the tip!

• You can use 2 voices without overlapping just switch to Gate mode. No its not a bug.

• I test a lot of things but I always have click at the end of the clip in the flexisampler when I resample 😳😨

Any good help is welcome.

• @hkor What's your process?

• I’m wondering if using an amp env could help here. Then again I don’t quite get the set up you are using. I’ve just put one at the end after flexi sampler (it has a gate).

• Almost like it needs a force to zero crossing on retrigger or something hmm

• I’ve spent an hour trying to declick and now it’s doing my head in! Hmm

• I'm not a coder either but the only useful way of fixing the clicks to me seems to always reserve enough polyphony, more than actually adjusted, in order to apply short fade-outs of the stopped samples each time a new sample is triggered. You can never avoid a sample to stop at a non-zero level (even worse in stereo samples) but a developer could apply short fade-outs at least, requiring higher polyphony "behind the scenes".

• No Amp Env doesn’t help.

I tested with various settings, Gate mode then adjusting fade in fade out... using multiple voices...

Short fade in / Out maybe could help like in many daw 👌🙌

I have an headhache now too 😬

• Using a quality piano loop (starts on a zero) with Flexi Sampler. Working with slices, if the slice is finished before next trigger, I’m getting a seamless transition, no click. The fades work perfectly, even when the slice isn’t on a zero point crossing. This is with single voice.

Single voice, if the slice is retriggered before it’s finished, yes there’s a click. The fades still fade but somehow don’t remove the click. With multiple voices the slice plays smoothly but of course this mushing samples over each other isn’t necessarily desirable.

1-shot, trigger mode, fades don’t eliminate the click. Gate mode, if gates don’t overlap then everything is working fine. If gates overlap (1 voice), there’s a click. With more voices no clicks.

OK, Gate mode, multiple voices, might be possible to rig up some sort of choke group to isolate last voice?

• @SpartanClownTide Again, I don't think this can be resolved without changes in the samplers' code.

Even with choke groups, you will get the same clicks unless "ghost voices" are reserved internally for short fadeouts, that's how I see it.

• Some how omitted to refresh my page so didn’t see your comment previously, yeah, it’s possible to minimise clicks with careful use of gate mode and plenty of polyphony, but some tinkering behind the scenes is probably needed. Though use samples with aggressive transients and you’d never notice 😀 only kiddin...

• Hang a minute.... isn’t what’s needed crossfade ? I’ve seen this in BM3

• @d4dg Short fadeout is better than crossfade because you don't want your first transient of the new sample softened.

• Ah yes, good point I guess...I was looking at how other samplers reduced pops... tbh i don’t know enough how this stuff works!

• Really hope a solution comes for the clicks , i really want to use flexi for everything lol but , it’s hard to get things smooth a lot of the time