Discussion about adding videos to PatchStorage.

edited February 2021 in General app discussion

I love browsing the Drambo patches uploaded by users here on Patchstorage - but there is one thing that bugs me: patches uploaded with neither a screenshot nor a short video clip showing it in action.

So please (please please) could everyone try to add a short Youtube or Vimeo video demo when uploading a new patch to PatchStorage.

Comments

• Man, I understand your frustration but I disagree. I will put a preview video if I can but since this is a voluntary service I would not expect anyone to be spending any more time on it then they’ve spent making a patch.

Yes, it might not be ideal but it will take you waaaay less time to download and audition the patch then someone to make and upload a video, possibly even with a track demonstrating its use within context. Not to mention uploading unnecessary stuff on YouTube contributing to planet’s energy use (I know it sounds ridiculous).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Just added preview vids to my last two patches. :)

Don’t get used to it! (just kidding) 😜

• edited February 2021

A screenshot won’t show you everything if it’s a big patch.

a YouTube Video? Certainly not.

how much work is patch sharing supposed to be?

be grateful that ppl are willing to share their stuff in the first place. ;) @tk32

besides I have little interest in feeding google with more data.

• edited February 2021

Ok ok...

Maybe it’s just me then 😄

No ungratefulness or offence was ever intended, btw.

p.s. I changed my thread title to make this discussion more democratic.

• No worries mate. Sometimes a bit of benign drama is what’s needed on a first Monday night after the half term! ;)

• edited February 2021

Well, I'd like to throw in my voice that I agree with the op. I haven't added much to patchstorage, but what I have, I do like to briefly demonstrate some core functionality. I don't know how many people are similar to me, but I can rarely be bothered to download a patch just to find out for myself what it does.. I have more than enough going on already than to swing and miss on dozens of patches. I wan't to feel intrigued, and have a sense about how I can use that patch or utility (especially if the writeup doesn't go into detail too). I approach my uploads as though everyone else shared my mentality..ie, unlikely to bother without a good reason too, haha, So I'll upload a detailed description and an example in use in hopes that more people would feel intrigued enough to download.

I understand not everyone feels this way. But I greatly appreciate the people that follow the formula: patch image, descriptive overview, musical video (brief or detailed).

• edited February 2021

I don't know how many people are similar to me, but I can rarely be bothered to download a patch just to find out for myself what it does..

@aleyas exactly, there is a natural balance there. If something intrigues you and it is easy to access, you will get it.

When I’m faced with an argument I generally try to flip it around and imagine myself being the other party, in this case the browser. I honestly wouldn’t loudly complain about a voluntary service that is free to me and required someone’s unrewarded work to materialise.

In the same way I’d never allow myself to complain to the creator about their shit patch I’ve wasted my time downloading because I know they would have done it in good faith.

So yeah, we’re all different and I only made time to reply because this is a bigger argument than just this.

• Well, I’d hate to see it become a requirement that otherwise stops someone from uploading a good patch. But for my part, I’m happy to do it. I enjoy seeing the demos up there - it’s kind of a quick start for a complex patch.

• A quick start does not have to be a video.

One reason why I usually don't upload module presets but complete projects is that it's much easier to showcase the work. People can always save the presets with their own preferred names but in a project, you can have a demo pattern, p-locks and scenes demonstrating good use of what's on offer. A video is not necessarily better. It can be.

• Totally. Equally effective in my book. I think it’s really about what the creator feels most comfortable with. That will probably make for the best outcome.

• @rs2000 this kind of changes my stance on uploading modules vs projects. I still prefer the idea of uploading a module as it’s minimal, but a project can be much easier to understand, especially with effects or midi etc.

• I completely understood your motivation, it's just that in addition to the "showcase principle" it's also that some people struggled with the module/preset import. It's not that you import and just work with the new module - after importing you first have to find it in your library and then you have to understand what to do with it beforehand. I have the impression that most people would rather remove or exchange a few connections in an existing project than building something from scratch with it which may be hard for some without watching your great YT tutorials 😉

• I can appreciate the entries on Patchstorage where users have taken the time to create an accompanying video, or at least post a detailed description.

I think newcomers still struggle with the fact that there’s multiple “types” of patches to download for Drambo, so the more tutelage the better IMO. It took me the longest time to be able to tell the difference between a “project”, which after downloading, users tap on it and a full project opens up ready to go, and a “module” where users tap on it but are presented with only _where to save it_.

Patchstorage does have the fields to describe wether the patches available are projects or modules, but they are indeed all in the same pile, and it’s not always clear what “type” of patch it is.

There’s entries that are full projects, then entries that are single modules, but then there’s also patches that are like halfway; a group of modules forming a rack or an instrument. Ben’s “Ping” for example is just an audio effect processor that he built and saved as a “module”, but uploaded to patch storage as a “project” because it includes a couple extra modules for example.

His post on patchstorage for “Ping” is perfect. A full lengthy description, plus a demonstration video on how it’s used.

What if we had two separate patchstorage sections? “Drambo Projects”, and “Drambo Modules”?

• @Intrepolicious Dividing the Drambo patchstorage into projects and modules will add a superficial category that I think might end up in spending twice the time when looking for something specific, yet it doesn't help much because I doubt that many patch creators would be willing to upload yet another version on patchstorage.

Why superficial?

Because in contrast to the headlines, descriptions, categories and tags, it has nothing to do with the actual content.

Let's say you're looking for a great looper. Then you've found one. You want it as a module but it's only available as a full project. Would this really make you not download the project?

BTW, Ben started to upload his creations as modules initially and theoretically that's perfectly fine, only that more people struggled with importing and using these in Drambo so over time, some preference has been given to projects over modules - not the least because you can easily save modules from a project for yourself but not the other way 'round.

From my experience (and I've also launched the Groove Rider section on patchstorage) we can be happy if people upload their work at all.

• I think I only uploaded this one as a project because patchstorage was not accepting module file type uploads. I think it’s bordering on compulsion and it’s just me, but I find the idea of downloading an app or rack or...anything that comes as a prefilled template to be less attractive than one that opens as a blank slate. I’ll continue to upload modules when possible. I think there are some ‘best practices’ both in terms of building racks/projects to share as well as in documentation, but wouldn’t judge anyone who doesn’t follow what it think makes sense. If you have the time and want to, make a vid and/or write out a mini-manual as needed. If not, no biggie :) thanks for sharing something all the same.

• So true! I definitely appreciate anything users are willing share, video demos or not.

One of these days, (now that I’ve learned the differences between the different types of things that can be downloaded from the Drambo section of patchstorage) I want to clean up my Drambo downloads.

Early on, I was saving modules, projects, racks, etc all over the place without really knowing what was what.

I guess the best way would be to delete Drambo, reinstall, and start over?. Then I can start importing things into their correct places.

• edited April 2021

Most of the time, I wish that Drambo Patchstorage only allowed racks, because there are a lot of projects that would benefit from being racks. I often go and download a bunch of things off patchstorage and then just try them out all at once. Ones that aren't racks I usually just ignore because I don't want to deal with extracting them.

But I've also thought about uploading full project templates so folks have a starting point with some added "features" to make creation easier. And there are other legitimate reasons to upload projects for sure.

So I dunno 🤷🏻‍♂️. At the least, I'm going to tag all my patchstorage uploads with "rack" so that they are more easily searchable.