MIDI controllers with incremental knob encoders
I'd like to give you a short list with example products that support relative (incremental) MIDI CC messages.
The advantage: Drambo knobs follow exactly how you turn the knob. No jumps, no catch-up searching for the correct value, just turn the dial naturally.
Which one you choose is very much a matter of taste and budget.
- The Arturia Beatstep has 16 pads and 16 encoders and price-wise it's most likely the best option. The encoders are not of the best durability but for the price it's acceptable.
- Arturia MiniLab Mk2
- Arturia KeyLab Essential 49
- Faderfox UC4
- Faderfox EC4 might be interesting if you want to control lots of parameters from hardware knobs.
Good, low-cost DJ-style controller with pads, pots, crossfader, 2 vertical faders and 2 touch-sensitive jog wheels supporting incremental MIDI messages: Hercules Starlight
Not tested by me but these should work too:
- Icon Platform Nano
- Icon Platform M+
- M-Audio Code 25 Black
- Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol F1
- Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol A25
- Midiplus SmartPad (I have seen mixed reviews about the quality so be aware! The price is very low.)
Some controllers that are not produced anymore but work well:
- Got an old Behringer BCR2000? It has endless controllers too and they work with Drambo.
- IBK 10-Control and 4-Control