Control all

I know we have the fantastic scene fader but there is something special about the control all feature on the elektron synths that offers spontaneity

would this be a total nightmare to program into drambo?

peace

Comments

• Dare to explain?

• It would be very difficult to define that type of functionality in open/modular environment.

Scenes/Crossfader can mimic that... but the whole point I assume would be to avoid lengthy setup procedure.

• Sure. For example in drambo you could have a control all button perhaps next to the mute button. When you hold or latch this button and move let’s say an amp envelope attack or filter frequency then this would control all other trackS modules simultaneously, or the track that have the same modules.

• I’d imagine this would be not so easy to implement in drambo but I’ve no clue on this type of stuff

• What's the criterion to choose the correct modules to control?

• recrec
    edited February 2021

In boxes like DT where the same playback engine shared across all tracks it gives fairly predictable results, in older more complex boxes like MD it will give less predictable results, because given knob can control different parameters across tracks.

• None, it would control all but parameter locked. In its simplest use would be to adjust all main track levels simultaneously

• But a criterion option would work per module, off by default I suppose

• +1 to what @rec said. Drambo tracks are usually totally different and controlling the same knobs in the same modules will destroy everything.

I think it's much better to be able to choose exactly what you want.

• I think you mean that adjusting an envelope attack would adjust all the other envelope attacks together, and the same for any other parameter. But the problem with modular is that each track is configured differently; they're not parallel instances of the same configuration. A given track may have multiple EGs performing different functions, so it would be hard to identify the appropriate module matching the one being tweaked. And the same would apply to filters, amps, and any other modules.

Of course, you can always rig up a knob to adjust several parameters in tandem, across multiple tracks. But that requires pre-configuration, not the spontaneous action you suggest.

• Perhaps a control all within a rack could be manageable, so any identical racks would react

• edited February 2021

I guess this doesn’t work in an modular environment

a few millimeters an a fader/knob can totally make or break a sound

who knows what that module and knob does on some other track, could be totally different things ..

racks are no different, anything can be in there and can be used for different purposes

you want exact control over what does what here, otherwise u end up in an unpleasant soundmess in seconds

If you are just after track volumes and fx sendlevels and stuff that is also very quick to set up with the morph scenes

• seems very possible especially if using the same instrument across each track - such as branis’ Drambotonic Multi. Just link the same parameter from each track to the AB fader and off you go.

To add more sophistication some kind of offset per parameter would be better - so that like the DT each parameter thats being altered doesn’t necessarily start at the same point but is offset similarly by the fader. So start with a modified Drambotonic Multi were each likely element to be Cntl All’d has a hidden offset that is linked to the AB fader - that would be the thing that would shift. even better if the offset has some kind of loop around logic so that when it hits the max, it restarts again at zero. More work but Drambo has the maths operators to do this.

• @lala - the Digitakt Cntl All is no stranger to 'unpleasant soundness in seconds' - that's part of its' charm...😀

• @sambo That's exactly what the Drambo scenes are made for. If you prefer a fixed structure duplicated on every track, you link your favorite "Control all" parameters to scene snapshots and by choosing from 16 different scenes plus moving the crossfader, you have that kind of control.

Not only that, since scene control changes add to existing modulations, you're still free to modulate parameters from other sources, including "hidden offsets" that can be added static, sequenced, calculated or by MIDI control.

The loop around behavior could be done with a Graphic Shaper module.

That's how I see the Drambo way of providing this kind of control. Everything as obvious and transparent as possible.

With the Digitakt, when using multiple modulations and controls, I sometimes get to the point of "man, why doesn't do it what I want" and later find out that I had forgotten that one obscure setting that had been acting "in the background". In Drambo, you'd use a more explicit mechanism to achieve that.

• When I crave controlled chaos I simply put Turnado on all and midi map dictator to one knob ;)