Simple automation

Just connect the input of the Scale module to the track's time signal and use the Graphic Shaper output to modulate other module parameters.

Nice: Turn the GS 'Scale' knob to get faster modulation in beat sync.

The adjustable grid in Graphic Shaper gives you a nice automation canvas for all modulatable parameters.

Comments

• Time signal through buffer feeding seqs... :)

• I'm going to play with this today. Excellent tip!!

• edited February 2021

Really enjoying this technique. As a slight tangent, I'm currently using it to shape the time signal, sample and hold it at regular intervals, then quantize it to scale to create repeating melodies.

Consequently, I've just begun exploring the graphic shaper as an audio effect using your Serge and Lockhart curves - so good! Are there any resources you could recommend to learn more about wave shaping curves @rs2000 ? I'd like to try plotting some of my own based on classic designs (in a similar vein as the serge and lockhart you've provided).

• edited February 2021

Thanks everyone for the great feedback 😃

@aleyas

@lala has drawn a few beautiful GS shapes derived from iZotope trash. I made a fun project from them, totally disregarding their original intent - providing distortion curves for sound mangling. But who says distortion can't be used for synthesis? Casio knew that decades ago.

This project has them all, if you want to use them for yourself then just copy/paste the required GS modules (FYI: copy and paste also works across different Drambo projects!) or save them as GS presets so you always have them available in the preset list.

Enjoy!

• Thanks @rs2000 and @lala !

I remember this project from the other month, but this is the first I tried it - really beautiful sounds. I modified it slightly with an amp adsr before the comp, and also played around with inverted sliders controlling the switch positions. Saved all those GS curves too.

I'm still curious how you would go about finding the amplitude responses of different amps, wave shapers, etc. I'd like to learn the more scientific approach how to do this (beyond just wiggling around points till it sounds good). I've mapped out the default curves from Ableton's Saturater (analog clip, soft sine, hard curve, sinoid fold, etc). It would be nice to learn do this with the amplitude response of different guitar amps, or shapers as found in Buchla systems.

Help teach a man to fish? 😁

• edited February 2021

@aleyas Sure! 😊

1. ElectroSmash has done quite extensive research of a few different guitar effect pedals, like this one: https://www.electrosmash.com/tube-screamer-analysis
    2. There is a cool VST plugin analyzer available from the same guy who developed the Magic Death Eye compressor. Go to ddmf.eu and look for the "VST Plugin Analyzer". It does some super helpful measurements like the plugin transfer function which can, to some extent, be used to copy the behavior of existing VST processors into Graphic Shaper curves, EQ adjustments and other stuff that can be emulated inside Drambo.

Good luck!

• edited February 2021

Appreciate the pointers! I downloaded the demo of Plugindoctor by ddmf - now to learn how to use it!

Anyway, thanks again, been having tons of fun with the graphic shaper today.