Setting up WebDAV file management with Drambo using Readdle Documents
Since the file management subject pops up repeatedly, I've dedicated a how-to to a very handy solution.
File management on the iPad has led to a lot of frustration over the years and although it has improved somewhat, it's still far away from a smooth desktop experience because Apple are consistently refusing to give the non-iPhone-user the choice pf opening up the app sandboxes.
Anyway, not all is lost. Here's a simple workaround to get full fledged, desktop quality file management at least between Readdle Documents and Drambo plus a few different cloud services:
- Get the free "Readdle Documents" app from the Appstore
- Enable WiFi and activate "WebDAV" in Drambo's burger menu. Check the URL shown under "Enter this address:"
- Open Readdle Documents and find "Connections => + Add Connection" on the bottom of the left column
- tap on it, choose "WebDAV Server" and enter the URL under URL. Give the connection a name, e.g. "Drambo".
- Tipp: If you enter the IP address 127.0.0.1 instead of the address shown, this connection will work in any WiFi network as long as Drambo and Documents are both on the same device.
You now have a convenient "remote file browser" for Drambo to create folders, move files around, rename, back up etc.