How to create a 32 step sequencer using two Gate+Velocity sequencers

Recently I put together a ‘16 step drum sequencer’, to be used with a LaunchPad X.

It worked rather nicely.

So I thought to myself, “now that I’ve done a 16 step drum sequencer why not do another one,

this time making it a 32 step sequencer using the Gate+Velocity sequencer?”

Easier said than done.

I asked @bcrichards for some advice and he mentioned a ‘slow’ switch.

I thought to myself, “yup, got it.”

Then I began and got it totally wrong.

Here’s the screenshot,

In this example I attempted to have a slow switch toggle between sending the ‘Clock Generator’ signal

from one sequencer to another and then somehow have the 2nd switch be the reset signal.

The theory was to have one sequencer play and then stop after 16 steps and to have the

next sequencer play for 16 steps and then stop and then the 1st sequencer start again,

both restarting from the 1st step each time.

It didn’t work as expected.

So I started again.

This time I left both sequencers running as I remembered that

the sequencers automatically reset upon Transport Stop.

I put the Switch N-1 module after the sequencers to have

the ‘Slow’ switch, switch between the two sequencers.

This time it worked as expected.

Here’s the screenshot

Much simpler and resulted in the desired effect of having a 32 step sequencer.

Thanks @bcrichards

Comments

• No problem, I didn’t explain myself very well. Your final result looks like a good implementation of what I had in mind. Also a great way to switch between different sequences.

• edited May 19

Nice, I’ll have to try this method.

Another method I’ve been using is to input the time signal itself into the 1-N switch, and control the index with a staircase from a graphic modulator. The time signal gets distributed to N instances of a step sequencer. Of course, this requires the pattern to be long enough to accommodate clocking the graphic modulator.

• On the topic of step sequencers, do either of you have any ideas about how to cobble together a 23 step sequence @Gravitas and @bcrichards ? I can get 23 steps easily, but getting it to repeat those 23 steps in cycle has proved impossible for me. I'm facing the same challenge with a 37 step sequence.

• @aleyas The easiest solution is to dedicate a track for it and place a jump condition on step 23 or on step 37.

• Unfortunately I can't use the track sequencer for the application I have in mind.

Fingers crossed the boss adds a 64 step seq module with 'write' someday 🤞

• @aleyas

Nice one.

I like your example.

In my first attempt I used the Clock generator instead of Time signal.

Using Time signal works better as it resets automatically.

I’ve tried a couple of ideas using the example that you’ve shown but

for my usage it needs a few more modules to get it working the way

I need it to.

Thank you for your example.

• edited May 20

I'm just thinking about a grid up to 64 divisions and a CV input to record from in the Graphic Modulator.

If a grid is set, recorded values would be quantized to the grid and if it's 1 or disabled, it would record at a finer sampling rate (100..200Hz or something like that).

• edited May 21

Quick update.

I’ve now put together a 4 part 32 step drum sequencer playable using the LP X using 2 custom mappings to achieve 4 parts.

If anyone is interested in the patch I’ll post it up.