2 Drambos side-by-side with Audiobus, first test jam

edited August 2021 in Tips and Tricks

I've posted this idea in another discussion and it inspired me to try out at least combo of Drambo standalone side-by-side with Drambo hosted as AU in some AU host. Turned out only Audiobus (from quite many AU host apps I own) supports this "multitasking" layout so you can see them nicely next to each other.

This is basically an experiment if you could use it as a two "DJ decks" and mix between your own projects. It's a very lame first try and I just started recording as it turned out to be interesting.

No controller used, no previous preparation really just trying out this first time and just opening some of my recent messy projects and mixing with some Drambo factory projects (they contain only Drambo internal instruments so they can be loaded copletely in AU). Overall 4 projects mixed (2 mine and 2 factory) in a 5 minute "microset". Unfortunately, the touchscreen on my iPad misbehaves, so it's a bit erroneous.

Still, you get the idea of the possibilities. Especially if you would be able to open 2 full instances, both being able to host AUs, but this is already quite powerful. I could hear a glitch at least once when loading a project, hope that's preventable, if you e.g. mute a fader in Audiobus (ideally using external interface and routing it over 2 separate channels). You may also wonder why the beat in the end is out of sync. I was confused first since I needed to play around with Ableton link settings + hosted Drambo also needs to be in sync with Audiobus. But it turned out the issue is that the beat in the factory project is set to a specific tempo, so it goes out of sync if you change the tempo (easily preventable by setting in Flexi sampler).

Anyway, I still find it pretty dope. BTW I know you can load 2 Drambo AUs inside Drambo standalone, but you 1. wouldn't be able to use AUs (quite a limitation for me) and 2. I love this side-by-side view so much!

I will try to prepare something more polished and post it.

Comments