Recreating EuroRack modules

Hello guys and girls, first time posting on here but been using Drambo for some time now in my music production. I’m now becoming interested in putting a few patch ideas together but in all honesty i don’t know the modules in math and untilty that well to know where to start. I’m pretty sure drambo is well capable of doing what i want it to but it’s my lack of knowledge that’s holding me back. I’m hoping that those of you who are already building awesome patches could help point me in the direction of some good places to help me understand the modules in Math and utility more. I have already been directing others creations but it’s still not helping me understand the reason for using the modules involved. Any help will be much appreciated.

nice one

Comments

• recrec
    edited January 2022

Hi,

It’s difficult to talk about so many modules in broad terms, unless you’re looking for detailed description of each one of them.

For starters:

• Most modules have built in ‘Help’ - a brief description of its functionality - that you access via module header, Help menu.
    • You can always use an oscilloscope to see what each module does to a controlled signal - the best way to learn is to figure out yourself :)
    • It would help helpers to know what exactly are you trying to achieve/build, so we can provide you with pointers
  • Hi Rec, thanks for your reply. i have been using the help menu but with my lack of modular knowledge the brief description given goes straight over my head. Regarding what i want to build. I’ve been watching youtube vids on modular and have been trying to replicate some of the demos of certain eurorack modules. this vid is a good example of what i’m trying to get drambo to do.

https://youtu.be/DulDZSsMUpY

• One thing to keep in mind: While Drambo is modular, it processes everything in a linear manner, starting from the beginning of your first track and ending at the end of your last track (e.g. Master).

As an example, let's say you have 2 oscillators, OSC 1 and then OSC 2. You can have OSC 1's output modulate OSC 2's pitch, but you can't have OSC 2's output also modulate OSC 1's pitch. (You can actually do this via the "Feedback" send/receive modules, but it adds a ~10ms delay to the signal going "backwards" in the signal flow).

This doesn't quite relate to your question about logic modules, but if you are looking to recreate modular in Drambo its a good thing to be aware of.

• One other thought: I'm not sure how comfortable you are with subtractive synthesis @span , but having a good foundation with the terminology in that can be really helpful before diving deep into modular.

• Appreciate the comments bud! yeah i understand the linear routing of Drambo and am quite up with synthesis terminology it really is just the understanding of some of Drambo modules and how they work. I’m finding the euro rack tutorials very helpful in understanding the modular process, it’s then going back and trying to relate it to how drambo handles the process i have just been viewing. Obviously it’s not an exact match cos it’s 2 com0letley different systems but there is huge similarities and crossover. basically it’s like trying to learn to play chords on a piano but using a guitar to learn the chords. I hope i work it out cos some of the modules i hav3 been looking at do crazy things, bringing that into drambo would be wicked if i can get my head around it .

• @span

I haven’t looked through the entire video as yet though I did

notice before the narrator was about to head into Boolean Logic land

a Euclidean sequencer that was outputting into the Pico logic modules?

If you go into the module and presets menu you will find in the Math section

“AND, OR, XOR “ modules and dRambo has a Euclidean Sequencer in the midi section.

You could replicate Boolean logic using other modules

I’m sure but I do think that’s a good place to start if you want a direct one to one replica.

More experienced modular users will be able to point you in the right direction.

• Hi @span,

One thing I've noticed with many Eurorack modules is that they have a lot of tricky features and side connections. That's not the case with Drambo modules; they each perform well-defined functions. If you're seeing demos that use such modules, they will be tough to replicate. You almost need to reverse-engineer the modules. Get the manuals and understand what they really do. Then you can likely emulate them in Drambo, but with some serious effort.

It might be more productive to focus on the resulting sound and figure out how to achieve that in Drambo. Drambo certainly has many sequencing and gating capabilities that can be applied. And of course, it's a fully-loaded synth with multiple oscillators, waveforms, filters, envelopes, and unlimited modulation capabilities.

• To span, have you seen the Mirack ios app (iphone / ipad), its a pretty advanced eurorack simulation, where you can use the builtin modules (well over 600 , i think!), it allmost as vcv rack, properly not but mirack is fantastic, and you can use mirack inside Drambo etc….

I have Mirack, but didnt have time to learn it properly yet!.

• As you’ve mentioned MiRack

Here’s a collection of MiRack modules configured for dRambo.

I had presumed from the OP that the OP wanted to use only dRambo modules.

https://patchstorage.com/mirack-processor-wrapper/

• Properly, but i could’nt stop mention the Mirack app, because its so good.

• This was my plan, i have downloaded the manuals and detailed patch instructions of a few modules that i would like to try to recreate. I’m not even that fussed about recreating them exactly it’s more so the ideas behind them i like. My lack of u deer standing the modules is what’s getting in my way, and interpreting what i’m reading to drambo relevant terms

• Drawing from the basic ideas in this video, here's a demo using two Euclidean Sequencers that originally trigger two drum sounds (snare and hihat).

An AND logic module triggers a kick drum every time both snare and hihat would normally be triggered simultaneously.

• That’s what i’m talking about 😁 Thank you brother 🙏🏻 Are those X-faders you’re using for the 3 select modules? Would you mind explaining what they’re doing just so i know if i’m understanding it correctly? thanks again. just what i needed mate.

• Great to hear @span 😃

The x-faders are just used as switches, I could have used N-to-1 switches as well.

Each of them takes the gate signal from the second MIDI to CV module and forwards pitch, gate and velocity to my drum sampler.

They switch every time when there's a note triggered from the second Euclidean Sequencer, triggering the note F#2 instead of D2.

The AND module combines the two gate signals from both MIDI to CV modules, triggering a third sound by manipulating the pitch signal to a different note.

• Thanks brother, that’s wicked, that’s made it so much clearer for me to get my head around. I’m sure i’ll soon discover another puzzle but for now you’ve helped m3 massively mate, much appreciated man.

Thanks for the help to all of ya that’s replied . Respect 👊🏻🙏🏻

• @rs2000 having fun now! still working at getting that 3rd sound though, it’s a bit trickier than i expected

• Yes it is because the 3rd note is adjusted by the AND knob in the SCALE module.

To ease note adjustment, I had temporarily increased the "Fill" amount in both Euclidean Sequencers so the note is triggered often enough ;)