Pattern iv - Rough mix

edited February 2022 in Musical creations

Here’s a four to the floor number.

I’m using dRambo mainly as an effects processor and drum replacement tool.

Reverbs, delays, Lfo’s and filters.

Enjoy.

Comments

• Well done!

I like it a lot.

• Great track!

• @branis

Thank you.

🙏🏾

• Whoa ho ho ho! Freaking beautiful track @gravitas !!! Love it!

• @echoopera

Thanks brother.

🙏🏾

I’ve got another one turning up this evening. 😁

• Excellent! That call and response bit near the end sounded great. Also liked the sound design during the outro, some really cool fx.

• @aleyas

I didn't even realise I did a call and response bit.

Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Another friend of mine started hearing a fugue which I thought was quite something.

Yeah, I've developed quite a few drambo effects.

Every time I hear an effects processor these days I instantly think ,"Can I make it in dRambo?"

Thank you for listening.

🙏🏾

• whenever I listen to your tracks I always wonder which bits are drambo 😋

And likewise about fx apps. That new Hainbach Noises app came out today, and one of my first thoughts was “hey.. that looks quite easy to recreate in Drambo”. (Spoiler, the only bit Drambo can’t easily do is ‘excluding’ slots on an 8-way crossfader. Which leads me to a fun feature request: N-switch Mutes)

• @aleyas

I’m specifically using dRambo as a production tool for the most part with these recent tracks

though many do have dRambo as synth and for drum replacement sample playback.

I’m doing three things alongside creating forty tracks.

I’m testing my ipad under full production pressure , seeing how dRambo fairs

in those conditions and getting my production flow back up to speed.

It requires a different mindset.

dRambo is doing amazingly well I must say.

When I started using dRambo stand-alone I was using only dRambo and entirely pure synthesis.

If you have a look at my youtube all of the tracks beginning with the title “Pattern”

are to do with my current mega project album thingy.

The following track titles are drambo only with the exception of “Faster Than Light “ which uses Thafknar for reverb.

Can I get a Head Nod

Faster Than Light

Wherever Love is Needed

Looking Ahead

I’ve got to curate my youtube at some point.

I’ve got loads of dRambo only projects with various synths and effects

and once those tracks are finished I’m going to curate those as well.

• @aleyas

Oh and in regards to Hainbach apps?

I took one look at Fundamentals and now the recent Noises and I’m very cool with dRambo. 😁

• If you have a closer look at Hainbach's test equipment rack, you'll find that most of his gear can be replicated easily with Drambo modules.

There's nothing "Analog" with producing sound by means of test equipment, it's rather a number of new ideas on how to use it.

• edited February 2022

And when something ‘simple’ isn’t easily achieved, or achieved with great pains, it generates some new ideas for Drambo, at least for me.

Taking a closer look at Noises, it’s basically eight looping sample players, routed through an N-1 switch. A unipolar lfo mixed with random modulation scans through the crossfader’s (N-1’s) index. Output is sent to a filter+decimator.

Easily recreated in Drambo.. except one thing: The eight way crossfader has individual activators for the 8 slots. With all 8 engaged, tapping on one of them excludes it from the crossfader, non-destructively reducing it to a 7-way crossfader (and down, till 1).

Drambo’s N-1 switch can’t do this. If you just muted the sample player, there’d be a gap as the index swept from 0-1. So the N-switch needs an option to ‘exclude’ a slot from the being addressed by the index.

It struck me that when ‘index’ is connected to modulation, the modulation overrides manual selection. We can press the slots of the N switch as much as we like, but it does nothing. What if when the index is connected to modulation, then tapping on the slots would ‘exclude’ them from being addressed by the index. So you could performatively reduce an 8 position switch into a 7,6,5,4, etc position switch, without messing up the modulation index, and without creating odd gaps.

It could be a new N switch: N:1 Mutes & 1:N Mutes

sorry for the off topic hehe

• Had similar thought & requested @giku for a Morph Zones module ;) So kinda like Turnado’s morph thing but on one knob. So could assign param values individually to different stages of the morph knob’s travel..(maybe it comes with 8 x set stage points on the travel?)…would be dope/super simple for setting multiple Flexi’s amp modules’ levels for fading/combining etc through the Morph knob travel like this….& could use it for travelling through a bunch of non-linear precise morphed modulation values etc too…

nice jam btw @gravitas

• I have no interest in looking closely at his rack.

Agreed there is nothing analog with producing sound using test equipment.

Isn't that what test equipment is there for.

It’s in the description.

“Test equipment.”

@aleyas

Not off topic at all.

Your N:1 Mutes @1:N Mutes idea sounds like a good one.

A thought though, couldn’t we place something before the N-1 Switch that would change the range of the index itself?

On another note I was reminded of an app called iOptigan for some reason.

I think it’s because it emulates an old eight way sample playback machine.

@ChildOfTheCornDog

Your Morph knob idea is also a good one.

Thank you for the compliment.

🙏🏾

• edited February 2022

@gravitas Yeah, we could put something like a graphic shaper or cv sequencer into the index, which would allow us to 'skip' positions. But the problem as I see it is that there are too many combinations ranging from 7 mutes, to 1 mute, with any number of different slots engaged. We could have four slots 'muted' and those slots could be 1,2,3,4. Again, we could have four slots 'muted', but this time they could be 2,3,5,8. Or, three slots might be 'muted', which are 1,6,8.

The muting action is just too dynamic to be managed with a graphic shaper. And I'm struggling to think of a workaround that uses toggle switches also. I tried using a CV Sequencer, but 'muting' a single slot of the N switch requires readjusting all of the sequencer steps, not just one step.

I like the idea of the N Switch Mutes. It's simple, has utility, and is a pain to 'roll your own'. Let's see what the boss thinks after vacation :) (actually, after 1.5, when he's focused more on the modules)

• Yeah, that’s what I thought also.

To many combinations to be done using the current modules which could be achieved by using one mute.

• edited February 2022

nice and uplifting music :)

not sure what the point of the hainbach app is

u make fieldrecodings to have an individuell sound nobody else has ...

use the inbuild samples and have sounds anybody else has who bought the app 🧐

the fundamental thing wasn't my taste either, lets arrange some sine waves , well yawn its not 1950 anymore ...

• edited February 2022

My coffee break hack with 8 and 12 switch positions (anything from 1..12 is possible):

• edited February 2022

Oh sweet.

And you used the CV Quantizer to do the mutes?

Awesome.

Errrmmmmm.

A question.

Could this be modified to create hi hat mutes?

@lala

Thank you.

It cheered me up writing.

There's another thirty five to go. 😁

🙏🏾

"not sure what the point of the hainbach app is

u make fieldrecodings to have an individuell sound nobody else has ...

use the inbuild samples and have sounds anybody else has who bought the app 🧐

the fundamental thing wasn't my taste either, lets arrange some sine waves , well yawn its not 1950 anymore ..."

Yeah.

I can do field recordings myself, any of us can and errmmm the dev of Fundamentals

said something about the test equipment being recorded.

What's the big deal?

I don't get it.

Not to dis Hainbach but ,"hi, I recorded some field recordings and some test equipment."

I'm like ,'"well done mate, where's the track?"

Admittedly I've got to watch some of his stuff but...you know.

Do you know what rocked my boat recently?

"Noisy " from Expressive E the makers of Touché and

I think we could actually make something similar in dRambo.

Here's the demo.

The intro rhythm is a bit pants but the rest of it is sweet.

• edited February 2022

Noisy sounds a lot like Drambo except the string modelling, but that can be covered with CuSnP.

What do you mean by hi-hat mutes @gravitas?

• That's what I thought.

Because dRambo has it's own sound then it would make it more unique

especially with the forthing coming FDN module which has a tone of it's self for sure.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a pure dRambo synth or synths rather than

using a third party app which as you've stated dRambo doesn't have string modelling.

I put together a synth which is quite versatile because it can

be used for drums, percussion and synth sounds.

Here's the result.

I need to swap out the AD modules for an ADSR but it is certainly playable as is.

Otherwise know as drum chokes. 😏

• edited February 2022

@gravitas I find it much easier to use multiple Note Filters and MIDI 2 CV modules, each with 1vc poly, on the same track.

Another way is to use the unconventional sample mapping with chokable hihats on the same key but different velocity levels. The Sampler will by default play them all with the same level.

• It's not for me.

It's for everyone else. 🧐

I play real hi-hats. 😏