BeepStreet On YouTube - A Proposal/A Thought

edited August 16 in Drambo

Hey @giku and the wider community. I thought I’d share a thought. 

It’s been 9 years since the last video upload to

https://youtube.com/user/beepstreetapps

Whilst there’s some great content on Drambo on different channels (some put out by people here), wouldn’t it be good to have a Playlist per Module, perhaps with content submitted by ‘Guest’ content creators who could cross promote their channel. Thinking around YT being ‘just one more thing for one person to manage’. 

I’m thinking Shorts or bite-size videos perhaps (if willing) from some of the experts on here, (definitely not me incase someone thinks that). The content could be peer reviewed & approved by Giku before being published. Perhaps there could even be some help uploading from a few trusted soul(s) from here? Again, not saying me. 

Why bother? Well as a starter: to further promote Drambo and the other apps, increase sales of apps and IAPs, increase audience (how can the channel have less than 800 subs? - criminal), grow the community, educate the community: app functions, module functions, modular synthesis, subtractive synthesis, inspire more people to make more art, increase usage of BeepStreet Apps, cross reference racks and projects at Patchstorage for non experts to load and learn from. 

In answer to the question, who is this person, who do they think they are coming into our forum with their thoughts & comments…I’m nobody and nothing, was just thinking about what I’d (and I’d hope many others would) find really helpful on the journey, what might help support Giku, and leave a long legacy for the experts here.

Just wondering what you and everyone else thinks. Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree? What do you think?

Comments

• I guess people might be waiting to see what @giku thinks about the idea before expressing an opinion?

• Hiya πŸ‘‹πŸΎ,

This has been discussed before.

@giku is only one person and most of his time

is dedicated to ensuring dRambo is what dRambo is

so basically he doesn't have the time at the moment to put

his energies towards the Beepstreet youtube.

Instead many of the beta team have been releasing everything

from lessons to performances via their own accounts

if you scroll through the forum you'll find many examples.

The two YouTube channels that I would recommend for tutorials are @bcrichards and soundformore.

Both channels cover the basics very well with more than enough for the intermidate to advanced.

There's also this site where you can find good descriptions for modules and what they do.

https://learningmodular.com/glossary/

translating the descriptions to dRambo is easily done for the most part.

I'm a seasoned dRambo user now but I'll tell you how I learnt.

I asked questions from Giku, @rs2000 , @bcrichards , @lala and various others

and I experimented which is in the nature of a modular playground.

dRambo is still young, I suppose it's a teenager in tech talk,

so as the user base becomes more confident in sharing their creations

then they'll be more resources for beginners to advanced alike.

For instance I was at a recent gear festival and I played around with a Moog Subharmonicon.

I had a look on Patchstorage when I got home and I found at least three dRambo versions.

Talking about patches...

rs2000's list of patches on patchstorage can be found here

https://patchstorage.com/author/rs2000/

His Vimeo can be found here

https://vimeo.com/user104379135

bcrichards' list can be found here

https://patchstorage.com/author/bcrichards/

his YouTube can also be found here

https://youtube.com/channel/UCX8g34WRpH3d0x_NdarjEIw

Another good one is from @ZhouJing which can be found here

https://patchstorage.com/m1sha/

@echoopera's YouTube can be found here

https://youtube.com/user/thirt33n23

@supadom 's YouTube can be found here

https://youtube.com/c/WojtekDomagalski

@rec's YouTube is here

https://youtube.com/user/XrecccpX

and @ChildOfTheCornDog who has an extensive range of patches

for free and available for purchase has a YouTube here

https://youtube.com/channel/UCeAYRLH9462FG9nvIs2frnQ

and for the patches on patchstorage

https://patchstorage.com/author/childofthecorndog/

This list is by no means exhaustive...

I hope this answers some of your questions.

• edited August 18

Hi πŸ‘‹ and thanks, I know Giku is a one man band hence the idea and saying ‘Thinking around YT being ‘just one more thing for one person to manage’. 

With the greatest of respect, I think you’ve totally missed the point (probably my fault). 

I actually know everything you’ve mentioned bar the learningmodular site that Ben referenced the other day in the FM thread. 

I’m aware of all the channels and have watched, I think, if not every video, nearly every video available. I have everything I’m interested in from Patchstorage and own everything COTCD does (love that guy/girl/person! πŸ˜†). 

However, I’m still missing info so don’t reach for certain things in Drambo and probably just grab an AUv3 instead. 

There’s nothing on a per module basis (think Playlist) that explains the module in detail or shows specific/common use cases, or great tips etc. And, if not bookmarked, don’t really want to waste time scanning through longer videos for something specific in a module. Though there isn’t that much specific to individual Drambo modules out there. 

For the reasons I gave in the first post, I think that would be a great, well valued resource and think it should exist on the official Beepstreet YouTube channel, to help people get the most out of these things. The idea of the content being expert created was to save Giku.

Hey it’s just an opinion, maybe I am barking up the wrong tree πŸŒ³πŸ•

• edited August 18

"With the greatest of respect, I think you’ve totally missed the point (probably my fault). "

With equal respect, I didn't miss your point.

My comment wasn't only directed towards you, it was also for others who will read this post.

It serves somewhat as a reference.

"everything COTCD does (love that guy/girl/person! πŸ˜†). "

Yeah,...he's very cool.

"There’s nothing on a per module basis (think Playlist) that explains the module in detail or shows specific/common use cases, or great tips etc. And, if not bookmarked, don’t really want to waste time scanning through longer videos for something specific in a module. Though there isn’t that much specific to individual Drambo modules out there. "

The manual has been updated and is still being updated by

members of the beta team who donate their free time for this purpose.

The reason why I suggested the module glossary which was also suggested to me is because

when you learn a module thoroughly it is applicable to all modules of a similar design.

When you approach another app or even the physical EuroRack

it merely becomes translating one terminology to another.

"Hey it’s just an opinion, maybe I am barking up the wrong tree πŸŒ³πŸ•"

I've been here from the day that dRambo came out,

some of the creators I've listed have been involved with dRambo from the off.

as a community it's growing and growing really well.

Yeah, it would be cool for Giku to have expert videos on his channel but

the links I provided in my post are all from the dRambo experts.

They are the best.

I also must apologise because I should've mentioned

@samu and @aleyas who's dRambo creations are lovely.

Here's his link.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCeCm0N9nWAw0lph0EpQ_bJg

Ask and we'll answer as much as possible.

Right now I see a really cool community growing quite naturally.

It's a pleasure to see.

Oh....and the dRambo group on FB now has 1.5K members and growing all the time.

• With even more respect 😊, you’re still evangelising for what exists, what has gone before.  

Your position is clear, but just because you don’t see the issue yourself, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Acknowledging that there is an issue is the first step to addressing it.

Maybe use of the modules could increase, maybe more unique patches/racks and art could be made and shared. Maybe the community could grow bigger, more quickly, maybe greater education is a good thing, maybe even more sales would be ok.

None of which should take anything away from all of the brilliant work undertaken by ALL the experts & contributors so far. 

We two have expressed our views clearly (and respectfully 😊) enough. Time for others, or for a dead horse to be flogged!

Btw, I‘m really going to struggle to get on board with bad shocking line spacing, too much “quoting”, anything f’book related or the ruination of the word ‘Drambo’ πŸ˜†πŸ˜‰

• edited August 18

I'm not evangelising though it may seem so to you.

I'll sound the same if we were talking about guitars or good food.

It's just facts.

Yup sounds like your horse has died. 😏

I wouldn't flog a living one let alone a dead one.

Speaking as an Artist, there's no greater encouragement

than completing a finished piece and preparing for the next one.

Personally speaking?

YouTube tutorials are like being in a classroom.

It's comfortable but at the end of the day you can't watch a tutorial

at the same time as creating a piece of Art.

Finish a piece of Art is my advice all round or twiddle knobs.

It's still Art.

Edit.

By the way I'm not adverse to your suggestions.

Whatever happens is cool.

I've got dRambo my idevices all day long.

• Two peoples opinion does not a conclusion make. Though you could be right. We’ll see, if anyone else engages πŸ‘

• Great vision, but very difficult to achieve IMO

because the knowledge is not in Drambo, but in modular synthesizers, digital circuits, MIDI, math and programming.

Take myself for example, I can make some Drambo patches not because I am a Drambo expert, in fact I am just a Drambo newbie like you, but I have some basic knowledge of digital circuits and programming. So I can learn how to use Drambo by making those patches, but you can't learn programming just in Drambo.

Other forum members have more knowledge of modular synthesizers, so I can often see completely different approaches between us in the same situation.

However, I am able to give you some advice in my own way to help you understand Drambo better.

1. all signals in Drambo except midi are digital CV signals, so in fact you can connect them more freely, regardless of whether the signal interface is time, pitch, gate, velocity, modulation or audio. But you need to know what the CV values mean in different situations.

2. All the modules in Drambo are algorithmic modules, except for the midi module. So you don't have to stick to the category of the module. For example: the ADDER module under the Mixer category and the ADD module under the Math category have exactly the same algorithm except for the number of sources. So you can see that there is no point in simply explaining what a module does, there are probably more than a hundred ways to use a module.

I hope this will help you a bit.

• I intend to keep making Drambo content, albeit I’ve slowed down. I was also a modular newbie when I came into Drambo and learned in the box and with modular reading sources like: https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=modular_reading_materials

i learned by trying to approximate hardware and software and then extending it, and going “what if…” a lot. I think learning in Drambo can be easier for some because it’s so quick. The fact that polyphony is handled behind the scenes helps an immense deal as well.

what I’ve tried to do with my patch videos is present something finished and hopefully useful, and then dive in and show (and explain) the inner workings. Why are things connected the way they are? Perhaps stepping back and starting with the building or even designing/experimentation phase would be useful to others.

• Hi @ZhouJing

Of course what you said helps, a lot. I’ve not seen or heard it expressed that way before. It illustrates my point too. Smaller, focused, bite size, snippets of information are often easier to take on board and can help things ‘just click’ for you, or inspire you to explore further. 

I see what you mean when you say ‘the knowledge is not in Drambo, but in modular synthesizers, digital circuits, MIDI, math and programming’. But isn’t it true that Drambo has brought these things within touching distance for most of us? That’s the playground, that’s where I want to learn. I’d like to learn what every module in Drambo does and how to use it. 

I think ‘completely different approaches’ to the same situation based on the experts background and experience is all part of it. Seeing three different ways of achieving the same thing is fine by me because you just never know what makes a concept or piece of information click for a person. Having a Playlist focused on a specific thing would make that knowledge more easily accessible. 

As just one simple example this morning. I loaded the Transient Detector on a kick pattern. The ‘Help’ says ‘Detects transients and isolates them in the output signal. Additional gate and velocity signals are generated’. 

I added it to the end of the chain, swiped through ‘Threshold’ and, nothing. 

If only I could go to a Playlist and see/hear some examples of how to use it, what it’s supposed to do, how it works and some use cases showing off it’s capabilities. 

The danger in not having that is that I may never reach for that module again. Given the effort to develop it, isn’t that a real shame?

I understand it’s most likely user error or I was using it in the wrong context, but that’s the point of what I’m proposing. To better educate. 

What Fred Anton Corvest of FAC http://fredantoncorvest.com began to do for his YT Playlists maybe an easy and good starting point for Beepstreet Playlists. 

He’s simply saved off videos from other channels (and his own channel), related to each of his apps, to a ‘Public’ Playlist. Eg.‘FAC Transient Users’ https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtZFyUNDvjtsPLIBQLFSH9Ndimfs4Z1vV

Perhaps something similar could be done per module? Like: 

Drambo Transient Detector Tutorials

Drambo Transient Detector Masterclass 

Drambo Transient Detector Experts

Then the last part of the puzzle is ‘just’ to encourage the masters/experts/community to record their short, module focused videos for Giku (or trusted souls) to choose from. 

I’ve made it sound easy πŸ˜ƒ

This isn’t all directed at you @ZhouJing but hopefully for consideration by the broader community, and Giku.

• edited August 19

Anything and everything from you is appreciated. You and @rs2000 are who kicked off this whole journey for me in January 2021. A journey I didn’t even know I wanted to take!

Your videos are missed, though I completely understand why you made less, family first!

Content from you guys always inspires exploration, a new patch or rack or a new track (as does the feedback in threads like the recent ones I’ve had with help from @lala, @uncleDave & @rs2000).

Perhaps smaller, bite sized, module focused, video content would be less daunting and time consuming for you and others to create?

If those were then collated, as part of a collection, in some easy to find, official Playlist…well! πŸ€―πŸ˜ƒ

• Ok, I get your point, some bite size videos might be easier for users to get the core knowledge to use Drambo. Also easy to access.

That reminds me of the series of short videos on SUNVOX made by Alexander Zolotov. When I was learning SUNVOX, these videos provided quick and effective help.

https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1223

• Great example πŸ‘

Alexander has 10x the subs too! (I know it’s not a competition!) .

Unfortunately he has 758 videos saved to his public ‘SunVox’ Playlist so, other than YouTube Search, which is a bit hit and miss, I’m not sure how useful the Playlist is to wade through.

But, imagine if he’d had the foresight to categorise them πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

• @Burner

Here's a thought.

As you already know the current videos available

why not collate them and create a playlist of your favourites?

That way if or when @giku decides to do an "official" playlist

the brunt of the videos are already in one place.

• Great idea, I will if anything new gets released that fits the criteria ie is module focused, or I recall anything that exists, but as I said yesterday: 

‘There’s nothing on a per module basis that explains the modules in detail or shows specific/common use cases, or great tips etc’. 

Perhaps if anyone else recalls anything module specific they could do they same, but I think it best to see if @giku is even onboard with the issue and what’s proposed. 

Remember, this is not a playlist of favourite Drambo videos! 

The vision is for module focused videos or shorts, smaller, bite sized video content, focused on a specific module or goal. To see/hear examples of how to use it, what it’s supposed to do, how it works and some use cases showing off it’s capabilities. And, for that knowledge to be more easily accessible through module specific official playlists.

• @Burner Another suggestion.

Why not start making video shorts yourself when you learn a new module?

Once you've understood a module you can share what you've learnt with the community.

• @gravitas Good idea. I’d personally be looking for content from someone with more knowledge, experience and technical understanding of the modules than my stumbled upon amateur efforts (hence the need for the resource I’m proposing!). But who knows, one day I may have that confidence πŸ‘

• Hopefully you will do. πŸ‘πŸΎ

and no need to P.M me you can say it here if my suggestions are negative sounding.

• edited August 22

Here’s another little example (supporting the need for short module focused videos) from tonight. 

I thought I’d check out the N Switches. 

Used Switch N-1 and connected output from OSC1 to 1 and OSC2 to 2 and, as expected, can happily switch between the two oscillators.

Thought I’d test outputting to two different effects. Added Switch 1-N and expected to connect Delay FX to 1 and Reverb to 2 in Switch 1-N. Expected results being to press 1 for Delay and 2 for Reverb but that’s not how it works. Pressing 1 delivers no sound but pressing 2 does deliver Reverb only 🀷‍♀️

Despite the ‘Help’ I also still don’t know what Index is for on both Switches. 

Switch N-1: ‘Use Index input to select output index via external signal (normalised value 0-1).

Switch 1-N: ‘Use the Index input to select input index via external signal (normalised value 0-1).

What’s the Index for and what am I doing wrong with this module?

Also, anyone any idea why my pics are loading in here low res?

• @Burner regarding pictures, its likely either a device setting, but could be something with compression from the forum.

For the task at hand, you need to either use a mixer module and connect both the delay and reverb outptus, or put them in an layer adder or layer mixer (which can just keep things a little tidier), so that BOTH the outputs from the Delay FX module and the Reverb module are reaching the track output. In your picture, only the output of reverb is getting to the output of the track. when the switch sends to the Delay FX module, its actively running through the delay, but the delay is not 'plugged in' to reach the output.

If you leave index disconnected, then you manually control which input/output is used for the Switch. If index is connected, then you can control it with an external signal --- think a CV sequencer, an LFO, envelope, Random module, or some other Drambo signal. values 0-1 map to the full range of inputs/outputs.

• edited August 22

Got you, thanks Ben πŸ‘ So what’s a use case for the Switch 1-N module?

Edit: The Switch 1-N is used to switch between the layers in the Layers Adder and/or Layers Mixer. Thanks Ben, now I’ve had a play/test I can think about a more creative use πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

• @Burner yours is one intended use case! its just that for you to have complete routing of a signal to different FX chains, you also need to route those effect chains into one output afterwards.

This is a think one point against doing per-module videos - often times (but not always) the module by itself doesn't fully accomplish anything. And so the tutorial might be 'Building a multi effects unit with switching' and we learn about switches, layers, and mixers, and then we can apply what we learned elsewhere.

• @bcrichards Yep, think my edit in my post above crossed over with yours. I got it working with both the Layers Adder and Layers Mixer separately.

I hear what you are saying and think you’re right, the modules need to be shown in a context (or hopefully several contexts, by different people). It’s the dedicated nature and ease of getting straight to the module in question that I think is important.

Personally, I like the idea of a brief intro to the module, what is is, what it does, then an example or two of typical use cases and if keen, a sort of tricks/tips bits to end.

It doesn’t matter that every scenario won’t be covered. If enough people contribute then I’m sure they’ll click for people.

Right now, other than asking here (which is great) it would be difficult to find a video covering the N Switches and find the relevant point in the video to extract the knowledge - that was my thinking πŸ€”

I’m hoping @giku’s lack of response or support sign-off is because he’s happily on holiday somewhere enjoying himself 😊