Buchla (ish) modules!

Comments

• edited December 2022

wait so

1x1,2x2,3x4,4x8,5x16 than add it all together ? :)

oder links gerade und rechts die ungeraden?

shifted binary to decimal converter is way over my head on the math ^^

• edited December 2022

ah I get it now

I did not do the n plus 1 output

N is a numerical value between 1 and 6 and is defined by the panel control and external control voltage.

need some rest 🤯

I knew I was missing something simple like +1 or counting from 1 to 6 ^^

• edited December 2022

hm actually I like what the axb does here

it sounds kind of like a twisted random snare over roll over the other randomness

(the other stuff was "a little slow" sometimes)

its kind of like an add more dial :)

I never do straight clones of things,

if I dont have anything to say why do it?

I will leave it like it is :)

Enjoy.

• edited December 2022

looking at other Buchla modules

addition, subtraction, inversion, scaling, and multiplication

pff, its not worth doing this module in drambo

you can just do it on the fly :)

• edited December 2022

You are right.

all it says is pick one of the doors. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤣

• edited December 2022

Going with a fresh mind on things

The noise outputs are pink, labeled as -3db/oct; white, labeled as flat; and blue or reciprocal white noise, labeled +3db/oct. This sounds a bit like filtered pink noise, but instead of band limited, the energy of the noise is redistributed. The second section is a pair of fluctuating random voltage generators. This is functionally the same as the fluctuating random voltages found on the 265

oh i get it

there is no white noise involved at all !

its this

Here are the other „distributions & probabilities“ ;)

i thought it’s just the trick with noise and triangle

this is the other trick

It’s 2 obscure ways to create noise

I wonder if there is a trick 3 to generate noise that I don’t know of?

• edited December 2022

for results of the other flip flops simply turn up their mixer level

new version 1.2 on patch storage

• edited December 2022

its ultra easy to modulate any ish with this

I love drambo 😍

• edited December 2022

"2^n used with a shift register usually means that each output has a different weighting: 1,2,4,8,16... so if you multiply each oitput signal with the respective number and add them all then you have a shifted binary to decimal converter."

so I have random 2bit plop plop on off (or some square wave) - and it translates it into ? something interesting ™?

hm, that sounds like an other utility to build ...

@rs2000

• Super late but thank you all for these! Amazing

• It wouldn't be anything new - just another way to generate digital noise.

• edited March 2023

Can I bother you guys with some noob questions?

Would noise--> S&H --> slew, resemble the "Fluctuating Random Voltage"? (or the stepped voltage, leaving out the slew)

What's the difference between using slew versus integrator?

EOC, how do you tackle it? There’s a comment from @rs2000 about an approach using dual ENVs, but I’m sure he’s got much better ideas now. Maybe like this, using the transient detector? https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/1087022/#Comment_1087022

LPGs, how do they work? Are they like cats or something? Looking at the concept, wouldn’t modulating the filter cutoff by the envelope of the audio be similar? What other approaches?

• edited April 2023

I made a LPG 😁

u can switch filter types 😎

u can use this as building block, I saved it as processor rack ...

• the envelope flex gives the right vibe to it 😋

• the "noise" isn't white noise and its not simple s/h

its all trallala with the shift register ...

• Sweet! Already incorporated into one of my jams.

• have fun :)

• ooh, nice, I know what I'll be studying tonight, thanks for sharing.

To be honest, when I made my previous comment, I knew close to nothing about buchla/serge designs, krell patches and whatever. It's embarasing, it shows how much uninformed I was and I admit I would have deleted my comment if I could.

But this re-ignited my passion for drambo and music in general. Since then I've been studying all things modular, reading stuff like allen strange's or the nord modular book, like they're best-seller page-turners. I'm learning a lot, many of the more mathematical/circuit aspects of synthesis still go way over my had, but I've been playing with (and studying) drambo on a daily basis, which is something I wanted to go back to doing for a long time.

So thanks guys for bringing back my mojo, and I appologise for my dumb questions and stupid remarks sometimes. I'll try to do better in the future.

• there are no stupid questions.

• edited April 2023

@pedro

take a very close look at this patch

I figured out all the heavy "I dont understand how this is done" stuff here for you. ;)

Buchla is cooking a strange recipe for controlled random. 😋

triangle at about 100 hz frequency modulated with noise is half the ticket (random source)

now level mix that against the outputs of the shift register

bingo !

(I use a bit crusher at the end to fart everything into nirvana so only block, block block, (pulses) are left , pulse divider makes it longer ... - u dont need to do that ...)

• edited April 2023

and im pretty sure that this

is the 3rd noise used to generate random here ... ;)

(it uses the shift register hint hint)

• @lala many thanks, I really appreciate the help. I”ve been studying this thread and everyone’s contributions from the start. It has been most educational, but every new thing I learn raises a lot of new things I realize I know nothing about.

I have many questions about your patches though. I just have an early morning, but I’ll be back.

For starters : what’s that gigantic knob mixer doing? Are you replicating the 17-bit LFSR? Did you go through schematics to figure the taps, or whatever numbers you got there? Not asking for you to share your secret sauce, just give us a hint

• now level mix that against the outputs of the shift registe

• "Correlation" is basically a cross fader between the noise-synced triangle wave and the output of the sample and hold. At zero, the output changes randomly from one value to the next based on the external clock input with no correlation to the previous voltage level. At the max setting, the voltage doesn’t change at all, as it is just sampling itself. In the middle, the output is influenced by its previous states, with the Correlation position effectively defining how far the new random value can deviate from the old one.
    • This is not the same as attenuating, because the total magnitude is not compressed, but rather involves a redistribution of energy
  • edited April 2023

Is this related?

(no dumb questions, right?)

• edited April 2023

yes, its very confusing to read, lol

but what it says is very simple in the end :

volume cross fade between "the noise ™ " and the output of shift register ;)

*(the triangle wave (100 hz) frequency modulate with noise is "the noise ™ "

(this is how random gets äh more random ...) 😉

its pretty simple tricks, but took quite a while to wrap my head around it. lol

... from there on its playing with the different outputs of the shift register

and playing with the "clock" of the shift register ...

when to "look" and what to "play" ...

when you wrapped your head around it its not that complicated

but the buchla things used to be mystery boxes to me too

thats why it took me so long to make it 😂

• > volume cross fade between "the noise ™ " and the output of shift register ;)

What about a slew after S&H, and then crossfade both S&H and slew for correlation? Your patch works beautifully for correlation, I just have no idea how...

• edited April 2023

when you wrapped your head around it

What I can’t figure is the probability distribution. You want to fe have it dialed down, but still some high frequencies skipping through. How to do that?