Pitch follower help?

I’ve been playing with the idea of making a pitch follower, something like controlling a synth’s pitch by me whistling into the mic or something.

I thought the freq to CV module would allow that, but I suspect I’m not getting it right. My understanding is it scales an incoming frequency to the pitch range. So like if I have an oscillator at 440hz followed by a freq to CV it will output (the pitch equivalent of) A4? Am I right?

I’ve been messing with this idea without any good results yet. Is it possible?

Any feedback apreciated...

Comments

• Oh boy, I feel silly now...

thanks for the help, I’m gonna study it now!

• No worries 🤗

• @rs2000 I lost battery and had to recharge so I’m just starting to study your patch, but would you be so kind as to explain a little how it works? It seems you’re using the audio input rectified, as the gate to trigger an impulse, and like that generating a pulse at the appropriate frequency?

I swapped the lfo+oscillator with a sample of me whistling the x-files theme (seemed appropriate) but on the silent parts it generates a rapid constant trigger (like if you set scale to zero in your original patch). What am I doing wrong?

• Add an Amp to adjust the input level and see if that helps.

The idea behind this patch is to extract the pitch information in a way that it is linear to the frequency detected, that's why I'm generating short pulses (shorter than the highest frequency that I want to detect, therefore the shot 1ms pulse). A mathematical integration is done by means of the LP12 filter which responds faster than the Math Integrator and has an adjustable crossover frequency, i.e. integration time.

Scale and Offset help to shape the signal into a range that's appropriate for the note range I want to feed the CV quantizer.

• Looks like I have a lot of experimenting to do.

Reading your posts is both inspirational (cause I learn so much) and frustrating (cause I realize how little I know). But drambo is keeping me busy more than any app in a long time. This might get me through the confinement...

And I'll be back for more questioning, if that's allright 😄 I have this vision, not quite sure what I'm building yet, so I'm collecting bits and pieces I feel might be useful and learning the app in the process.

Again, thanks for your help and patience!

• @pedro Sure, never mind to ask! I'm glad to help.

You're welcome.