Your Drambo Setups

Folks were posting some awesome setups on a thread about Bluetooth, and I realized we didn't have a general thread about setups integrating Drambo :)

Here is mine currently. Its actually 2 different setups. One uses the Drambo, the Polyend Play and the Analog Four to do more dance oriented stuff. The second one uses Drambo, a Faderfox EC4 and the Analog Four to do more atmospheric noise, where every parameter mapped to my EC4 midi controller has a complex LFO attached for non-step-sequenced sounds.

Comments

• Here’s mine. Been working it for close to 3 years. Currently hosting in Audiobus because of Samplr but would probably move to Loopy Pro when Samplr 2 auv3 comes out or Drambo gets full screen sample mangling surfaces, whichever comes first.

• Nice bass :)

what’s that thing between the pedals and the gtr that looks like a kalimba... is it just stored there or is it operated by feet? :)

• edited January 2023

Haha….that would be something!!! I’d need to let my toenails grow beyond comfort range!!

Yes it’s an electric kalimba. Since buying the extra input attachment for Zoom u24 I have now 2 extra audio inputs that are occupied by electric imbira (I love adding the rattle of bottle tops to the rhythm soundscapes) and the mini double bass.

I’ve lately realised that my workflow started leaning too heavily on Drambo so I’m trying to use more looped acoustic instruments.

The bass is a fairly cheap copy of a Kala journeyman bass uke. I absolutely love it. It works really well on-stage when I play with my 6-piece band but is also great unplugged jamming on the sofa. It obviously doesn’t reproduce the actual double bass but has enough characteristics to effectively emulate it. My band mates call it a rubber band bass 🫤

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCnmKOkK1Co

• edited January 2023

i was playing around with double bass samples some time ago

I found them boring so I messed them up with overdrive/distortion

that was a great sound, really "electronic" :)

• Supacool :)

wow it sounds surprisingly big for the size... just a few more questions, if I may hehe...

could you drop a link to that bass please? I didn’t even realise it’s a uke...

how difficult was it to go fretless on this cutie?

is that some kind of mini berimbau plucked occasionally by the lead singer?

• edited January 2023

Hey. Sorry for the delay in replying.

In the video it is going through a small battery powered amp. It wouldn’t be loud enough to play with other instruments unless amplified. Only something about a size if a double bass can effectively push such low frequencies. It sounds great and loud enough solo though.

Here’s the link in the Uk not sure where you are.

This video was my second day playing it and I’m not a practicing type. I had to put a strip of white electric tape with markings for G, A and C because although there’s a couple of dots factory made I didn’t quite get on with them. The tape works fine and cannot be seen from the front anyway.

One issue these and similar basses suffer from us that the E string is quite loose and does not press hard enough against the saddle resulting with it being a bit quieter than other strings when plugged in.

I’ve pulled the saddle out a bit and rested it on the edge of the saddle hole and it works way better but the action is a bit higher. That is not a problem since the strings are quite soft but just a thing to bare in mind. I will find a solution eventually if I can be bothered.

I found that plucky instrument at a flea market. No idea what it’s called but puts a smile on people’s faces. 😁