Workflows for using Drambo in a DAW - Cubasis/NS2/etc

I've mostly been enjoying Drambo in the comfortable space of AUM and its amazing routing capabilities.

But now I want to try to actually make a track in Cubasis 3 or NS2.

How do YOU make best use Drambo in a linear, multitrack DAW? I find it very challenging to combine the two.

For example;

• Sampling. Is it even possible to get a decent sampling workflow using for example Cubasis? If I add Drambo as a midi instrument it doesn't receive audio in. If I add it as an FX to an audio track it receives audio but then I can't sequence it in Cubasis to trigger samples where I want them on the timeline.
  • Using one track in Cubasis -> multiple tracks in Drambo. For example, a "drum track" (like the drum kits in Ableton) that you want to trigger the "sample drum machine" preset with. I realise I can map Note->Track in Drambo track settings. But, to get the note to play C-2 I also need to add transpose modules - which will also transpose the Drambo pads so they become useless for triggering samples.

The above are just some obstacles stumbled upon for a newbie trying to combine a multi-track drum machine/sampler/synth/sequencer with a linear single-track DAW workflow... If anyone has any good practices or tips & tricks to share I'd be super happy.

(a "don't do it" is fine too as it will take some cognitive load off my brain)

Comments

• Hmm, I don’t have a complete workflow but a couple of things: you should look for mFX auv3. It’s an audio effect that can sequence and send midi.

you could use dummy midi tracks on different midi channels in your daw and send to one Drambo instance.

the things you may lose out on using it as a sound module in a daw are the plocks and morphs. It might be difficult to make use of the patterns to sequence in plocks linearly within the daw, and the morph slider is only for live use.

• FWIW, I'm finding composing in Drambo inside of AUM to be a wonderfully ZEN experience. Before trying to force the Drambo model inside of a traditional Linear workflow like NS2 and Cubasis, test out the Song/Pattern modes in Drambo. It's a sequencing power house, and with the ability of loading multiple instances of a sequencer you can do all sorts of amazing things you could only dream of accomplishing in NS2 or Cubasis.

Give it a go. The Water is fine :)

Here's a track I did using 4+ instances of Drambo as sequencer to drive internal and hosted auv3 synths in AUM:

I know that this type of workflow isn't for everyone, but it's the closest model to working with external hardware that I can find on the iPad...each instrument can either be a part of the overall sequence length, or on it's own and controlled through busses and routing...it's all super flexible and manageable once you define your workflow using Drambo...which for me is the joy of using it.

I've said elsewhere, since Drambo is so CPU friendly, I really feel like I have access to 5+ OctaTracks when making my noise.

Explore the Drambo.

Drambo will reveal all its deep truths to you.

Happy Drambo'ing :)

• I use this workflow for strictly recording audio from AUM into Cubasis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpb313MT9HQ

I haven't messed around too much with MIDI sequencing or sampling to/from Cubasis, but I would think it would be easier just to have dedicated instances of Drambo as effect slots in AUM, since you can both sample and send MIDI from them.