Auto-select track

Hi, for the first time I ran in to the Auto-Select track option in settings - midi mappings, at first I thought it would have something to do with when engaging with a mapped control that it would jump to the track to where it's mapped to, but that's not it, so I can't seem to figure out what exaclty it's supposed to do, anyone?

Comments

• edited March 2023

I’d like to know the answer to this too, since I can’t find mention of it in the user guide and the Help function doesn’t work for the settings menu.

I’ve done some experimenting and here’s how I think it works.

The short version: Auto-Select track works in tandem with Receives MIDI Always for individual tracks, and the UI will jump to the track when it receives MIDI notes.

Turn on "Auto-Select track" in Settings, then for each track you want, set "Receives MIDI" to "Always" and set a specific Channel number to receive on, rather than "ANY". On your MIDI controller set it up to send specific MIDI channels for the tracks you want. Now, when each track receives MIDI notes the UI will jump to display that Track.

If you don't set Channel then the UI will jump randomly between each track that's set to "Receives MIDI" "Always", which makes sense since all those tracks will be receiving notes.

Sadly, jumping to a specific track doesn't happen when that track receives mapped MIDI CC. I think that's because Drambo handles sending MIDI notes to tracks differently to sending MIDI CC to controls via mappings. Perhaps a future update could change this so that as a control is affected by a MIDI CC mapping Auto-Select Track also jumps to display that Track. However, this might be problematic since you can map one CC to multiple controls on different tracks.

• Auto grow only works when a track is selected. When you use Drambo with a midi controller where each track is on a different channel you’d have to select the track you want recorded manually. This is why Giku added this so the first incoming note selects that track for auto grow to work.