Need Help: Random Module for Drums

Hey everyone,

I’m looking for some help on a Random Module I’ve created to play random notes fixed to a Scale. I can do it pretty easily for Synths, but when it comes to using it with Drum Machines, i can’t figure out how to lock the Randomization to a fixed Octave.

in this case, PlayBeat3 assigns drum sounds to Octave 3, but the Scale parameter on the CV Quantizer doesn’t seem to have any notion of a fixed range…so how can i tell the Random Module to randomize only the notes on Octave 3 (Playbeat3 specific) or a specific Octave for other drum machines?

Here’s a screenshot of my setup…please let me know if you need a file, and if possible, just let me know which module I’m missing for this particular Random Module to make it work for Drum Machines fixed to an Octave.

many thanks,

-echo opera

module+playbeat3 octave mapping in settings+module expanded view

Comments

• If I understand correctly I think what you want is a Scale-Offset module before the quantizer. Lower the scale to get a smaller range and adjust offset to move it up and down

• Hrmmm....thanks...I'll look into it...it's doing something, but it's still missing notes when I ask it to randomize C3 on a simple 4 on the floor rhythm. So I'm not sure how to lock it to a specific Octave.

Thanks.

• edited March 2023

Setting the random generator to 0.125 will limit its pitch output range to exactly one octave.

You'll still need the Scale+Offset module that John mentioned to shift the random signal to the correct pitch.

Fine adjust to taste ;)

PS: What do you mean by "missing notes"? Is there a drum instrument on every note sent by the MIDI Note Gen?

Definitely use the MIDI Monitor to check what you get.

• Thanks @rs2000 and @Johnisfaster for the input. I'll wire it up and see how it goes :)