Building a Benjolin.

2»

Comments

• So use the regular (stereo) FX version, with X and Y split on one stereo channel? I was trying the 16 channel version

• No, the Stereo L+R module in dRambo before it gets to MiRack.

It doesn’t matter whether it’s the stereo version or the 16 channel version.

Here’s a screenshot,

• I thought I'd post this here. It's an implementation of the Rungler circuit, which could be used as the basis for a Peterlin/Benjolin patch:

https://patchstorage.com/rungler-3/

• very cool project thanks for sharing!

of course I had to try x-modulation, just a quick attempt

doesn’t sound like much until you wiggle one of the compare knobs

• Just tweaking knobs in this configuration can be a lot of fun. Good job 👍

• @pedro nice! I don't fully understand why Hetrick used those bit values (32, 64, 128 then divide by 255), my first uninformed attempt used 1, 2, 4 divided by 7 and I think I liked that better if you want to give that a try.

• I’ll try that, but I have to confess I haven’t even opened your rack. I want to learn more about the SR, I understand the concept but haven’t put it to good use yet. I’m sure studying your patch will help me in that direction

• edited October 2023

Here is my take on a Benjolin, building on the rungler module I shared earlier. One thing missing is audio input, but that shouldn’t be too hard to add.

The oscillators are supposed to be sawtooths, since they’re each driving a triangle and square graphic shaper. I realized now that lists can’t be hidden so the waveform selector had to remain.

• Hm, there's something wrong with DC offset, specifically the A>B comparator near the end, since the output range is 0–1 instead of -1–1. A scale+offset module fixes that. Also just adding the Rungler output doesn't make sense to me. I'll explore the macumbista PD patch a bit more, but this already in the right track I think.

• You’ve got quite a few hours under that patch. Nice work, looking forward to the final version.

I think one way you might hide the waveform selectors would be to use a knobs module before to modulate the parameters you kneed, and then hiding the osc module all together