MIDI modules: A few enhancements

Getting to grips with the MIDI tools, here are a few ideas that would make life easier 😉

• MIDI CC Generator: Add a gate input so the CC message is only sent with a rising gate signal.
  • MIDI CC Modulator: Add a gate output that sends a short pulse when a CC message is received.
  • New module MIDI CC trigger: Enter CC and a value range from - to. Sends a gate signal when a CC message with a value in this window is received (just like the MIDI Note Filter but with a third field for CC number).
  • Even better than "CC trigger": A MIDI CC shaper with learnable CC number, MIDI input and Signal+Gate outputs. Signal is the CC value re-mapped by the curve, Gate sends a pulse with every CC message received.
  • A knob module with learnable MIDI CC input that can handle incremental encoder messages (like e.g. 65 or above for incrementing, 63 or below for decrementing). Outputs: Signal and Gate.

Stuff like that is necessary when communicating with MIDI gear, external controllers that send CC instead of note messages, enabling/disabling LEDs etc.

// Side note about relative / incremental MIDI CC:

ADD_64

First mode for relative MIDI messages. This is probably the simplest one. This basically maps 0 to 64 (which is 128/2). For example, if I want to send -1, I add 64, = 63 and I send it. If I want to send +1, I also add 64, = 65. If I just send 64, the computer will do nothing, because it knows it's a displacement of 0. (On the computer side, they just subtract 64, and you can use the result like nothing ever happened.)

SIGN_BIT

Second mode for relative MIDI messages. On computers, signed values are mostly saved with a sign bit. The sign bit is the most significant bit. When it's 0, the number defined by the other bits is positive, when it's 1, the number is negative. In a MIDI message, this is bit 6 (the 7th bit, since it's 0 based). For example: +4 would be 0b00000100, and -4 would be 0b01000100.

POS1_NEG127

Third mode for relative MIDI messages. Define +1 as 1, and -1 as 127. We can continue this: +2 = 2, and -2 = 126, etc. until +63 = 63, and -63 = 65.

Comments

• I agree that there should be gate outs on many of the modules. The CV Quantizer, for instance.