Layers feeding other layers?

edited April 2020 in How to's

Hey,

Is it possible to output layer 1 into layer 2?

I’d like to arrange an instrument I’ve built so that the sound generation section is In layer 1, and the envelope, filter and processing section is in layer 2.

This way I can avoid scrolling side to side and it’s a smaller unit!

Comments

• edited April 2020

No but that sounds like a feature I've once requested 😊

@Horsetrainer would be happy too.

• Yes I'd like to be able to chain layers within a layer module very much.

I think there are lots of features that might be added to layers that could make them much more versatile.

BTW... Your "@"ing my user name did cause an indicator to show up in the forum notification menu like it does on other forums. Maybe that feature needs to be tested?

• @giku Maybe Layers should be replaced by something like "Chainer".

So we have Layers Mixer for parallel layering and Chainer for serial module configurations helping to reduce screen space.

Also, a switchable exclusive mode in Layers Mixer would be great: Always solo the selected layer when enabled in the module menu.

As for quoting your user name: Notifying you was my intention.

• Unfortunately no, from the same reason, you can't route signal from within Instrument or processor rack to external rack. There shouldn't be any invisible connections, that are hidden somewhere..

This "chainer idea" is possible, provided that only layer output may feed modules on other layers, so e.g. you put LFO on layer 1 and layer 1 is visible on layer 2 as a modulation source.

I gonna think about it.

• Hmmm... this should be quite easy.. Layer 1 output source is visible on Layer 2. Layer 1 & 2 outputs on layer 3.. etc

• edited April 2020

So you still can't make connections to modules in other layer, but you may use its output. It still works, e.g. in the simplest case you put LFO on layer 1 and name it LFO. + we avoid a mess

Each layer button would have a different color then.

What do you think?

• @giku Yes, absolutely!

Take a classic synth architecture for example. Accessing the output of a previous layer would be enough because if you wanted, say, an LFO or MIDI CC source accessible in both layers then you would put it before the Chainer module and route it to the chains where you need it, right?

Different colors: Yes, why not! As long as it's possible to rename them (VCO, VCF, ENV etc.)

• edited April 2020

Yes, I like this direction.. this brings some extra possibilities, say I'm using layer 1 as a generic modulator with LFO only.. If I want to further process LFO signal I don't need to reconnect anything.

I don't need extra modules for that, just extend existing layers.

• What do you think about the second routing option: Layer exclusive solo mode?

Examples:

• Four paths in a multiband compressor and I would like to listen to one of the paths only.
    • Different distortion algorithms in one Layer mixer. I only need one at a time but the switches are very convenient selectors
    • Different filter combinations (module routings) in a synth
    • Different sample sets in Flexi or in Sampler

• Are you saying each subsequent layer could have "separated" input connections from each previous layer?

For example, you make 4-layers.... On "layer 4" you'd then have the ability to selectively make connections from your choice of the outputs from Layers 1, 2, and 3, and route them to the modules you put on layer 4 ?

That would be a very cool new feature!

• Sorry. What I meant to say is that when you quoted my user name, for some reason I didn't get a notification. But I am getting notifications when quoted.

• That's how I understand it. And I definitely had your Jupiter dreams in mind 😉

• edited April 2020

Thanks.

Yup, I'm still working on the "Jupiter" project (It's also evolving into a exploration of vintage sound synthesis in general).

Drambo really is a good platform for learning all about sound synthesis. There's a lot stuff going on in the character of those classic synth sounds, and I'm beginning to understand why they sound the way they do. That's the nice thing about modular, being able to do experiments, and make discoveries.

• @Horsetrainer Oh yes, and it's hard to stop, the bedtime due alarms are piling up 😅