Project/preset size - confused.

edited April 2020 in Presets and projects

I’m in the process of making an acoustic drum kit patch with samples. The samples themselves are small. They range from 16 to 500kb in size each and there’s only 8 of them which made me think that exported instrument module preset file should be well under 5MB. I was shocked (not really) to find out that it is no less than 64Mb.

Does anyone know why it is so? @giku ?

Comments

• Two things I'd like to mention:

• The sampler can import m4a audio and although it's decompressed during import, a facility to save the original mpeg 4 / aac audio in the project would help reduce storage sizes
    • The size blow-up is probably due to the binary encoding used. @giku Let's pm if you're interested in discussing more efficient encodings...
  • edited April 2020

Haven’t seen projects that where to big

but all my samples are wav and 16 bit 44.1

... (I converted them so I can play them with anything without weird shit Happening)

i just tried with some small drumkit

Load folder and

it makes a 4.1 mb project out of an folder of let’s see

i guess about 1mb of files

i can life with that

• @supadom Let me guess, you used the same sample many times and saved project with samples.

FYI: When saving with samples, Drambo saves each sample instance separately, even if its the same sample, in uncompressed form.

Shh***t :)

2 fixes are coming to fix this problem: project samples pool with samples shared between modules and zipping.

Sorry!

• edited April 2020

Saving with one module that has a 1 megabyte sample loaded will end up in a 3.9MB project file.

Given that base64 encoding should rather have something like 30% overhead (am I correct??), that seems a bit large to me.

Zipping sounds like a good solution too!

• No @giku All of the samples have been used only once. 8 sampler modules within layers mixer module. Can send you the project file if you want?

• Yes it would be great

• edited April 2020
  • edited April 2020

I guess sample pool will solve a lot of this?

i don’t understand how apfs is supposed to work when we all see samplepools and endless copy’s of data ... ?

wasnt the clue of the story it’s just some alias link to real object?

• edited April 2020

@giku Yep, why not.

Are you planning to add Drambo to the "open in..." destinations for .zip?

• edited April 2020

@giku sent!

• 🤾🤸🕺