Use Flexi Sampler to chop up Library of Congress samples!!

slightly off topic, but Library of congress is opening up some great samples free for producers to use in their creations. all royalty free.

ive loaded up some of the one shots into random sample mode on flexi and gotten some wild results, so thought i would share here with the Drambo Fam. Enjoy!!

Comments

• That's a great find, thank you!

• Makes want to have 'lazy chop' in the Flexisampler when notes are used to trigger slices...

...could work like...

C2 triggers the sample from start, tapping on any un-assigned note adds a slice point for that note, already assigned notes trigger the sample from the set slice position. This would make live-chopping pretty seamless. (Start with C2 slice 1, C#2 to set slice 2, D2 to set Slice 3 etc. etc.).

• Being able to set a slice for any note would contradict with the current consecutive notes order but hitting any note to add a new slice sounds fun. I personally wouldn't rely on it as it always needs manual adjustment and I find the slice adding and editing mode quite fast already but hey, people are different 😊

• +1 for lazy chop!

and kind of similar area - Korg microsampler ‘gate’ sampling mode. So in Sampler module you press a key to record to that key. Super fast for building weirdo instruments/kits :)

• I love this Microsampler feature, sampling doesn't get faster than this, in fact that's the reason why I still own it 😊

• I've yet to find any sampler on iOS that beats Koala for quickly grabbing sounds, it can even do kinda lazy chop but the chops are recorded as new samples (trigger one sound and while it's playing tap on the other pads). But for quickly grabbing sounds Koala is hard to beat.

I revicse the idea from any key to next in order to keep slices under control, a 'add slice' button that can be tapped while the sample is playing.

• Yeah a Koala or Microsampler version for recording sounds would be fantastic. Sampler should have the ability to record for a specific zone (does it already????). But i know it does not currently have module input.

• edited April 2020

Imagine these addons for Flexi sampler:

1. An "Append" recording mode (hitting REC won't overwrite but rather add to the existing sample)
    2. Each new REC activation automatically sets a slice marker indicating the start of the next recording
    3. MIDI control for Drambo and most Flexi knobs+buttons
    4. An enhanced "scratching" mode that will allow to scratch during playback: Touch a jog dial to stop, turn it to scratch, let go and playback will continue where it would have been without scratching.

This will allow DJ-style scratching without interrupting the beat or "flow".

Add this to the scene power of the almighty crossfader and it sounds like a deal even for DJs πŸ˜ƒ

• This is really cool. Thanks for the link!