DraMonoMachine

Greets Drambowlers, someone on the Elektronauts asked which app was closest to the MonoMachine. Of course I recommended Drambo! But to be honest, I've never used a MNM, and didn't/don't know it's synth engines. So I've tried to emulate the first synth engine described in the manual - the Superwave-Saw. I hit a wall with how to achieve the following two controls without using the Scene Crossfader:

UNIL (unison level) controls the level for the unison oscillator pair of sawtooth oscillators, located over and under the base pitch.  

"UNIW (unison width) sets the distance between the unison oscillators and the base pitch. UNIX (unison extended level) controls the level of the two additional unison extended oscillators (sawtooth). They are located over and under the base pitch, at double the UNIW distance."

In other words - a) Knob/Control 1 to tune down one oscillator, and tune another up at equi-distance (mirroring for want of better words) simultaneously

b) the same thing as Knob/Control 1 for two more oscillators but at double the ratio of Knob/Control 1

I tried various modules, shaper, inverters and others without success 🙄

On the Nord G2, for example, this would be super easy: Use a controller knob and set the modulation depth on the tune / frequency on the target oscillators to opposite levels, e.g. Osc 1 - 24; Osc 2 + 24 ).

Otherwise, I've patched up the signal chain as described in the manual and tried to label the modules according to the controls SWAVE-SAW in the MNM.

Would be great if anyone could help with this. Even better collaborate on a full DraMonoMachine. I'll have a crack at another of the MNM's engines when I get the time.

Thanks for looking. Here's the instrument - in a project: https://patchstorage.com/dramonomachine-superwave-saw/

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2020

@Tom_LJ

a) Knob/Control 1 to tune down one oscillator, and tune another up at equi-distance (mirroring for want of better words) simultaneously 

=> Add a knob, route it to modulate both oscillator pitch knobs and set one negative max, the other positive max.

b) the same thing as Knob/Control 1 for two more oscillators but at double the ratio of Knob/Control 1

=> Either set one modulation depth to -0.5 and the other to +1 or if it has to be higher, add a Math => Scale module to boost the gain.

You'll have to put the knob in front of the Layers module.

• not attempting to mess with the rest of the project (which sounds awesome!) but I think I have the width working. The issue with just using a knob to control the unison width is that the oscillator pitch scaling is not linear, so positive values and negative values do not actually mirror each other, I don’t think. You can get around this by using the pitch modulator. I opted to make the modulation source a pitch module with no pitch connection, so you're actually setting how many semitones and octaves you want the pitch spread. For the extended unison, the pitch modulation is multiplied by two. i think it still works.

• @Gravitas @rs2000 @bcrichards Many thanks. Ben, I just tweaked it so it sounded ok starting as a point and played in a sequence for illustration. I want users to mess, adjust, rebuild and use as they like! Your solution looks fantastic: I don't have time right now, but later in the day I'll dig in. And I'll definitely be trying to emulate some of the other MNM engines. Have a great day guys.

• Oh yes, they do. If you scale the pitch mod signal correctly once (which you'll have to make sure anyway), using it for positive and negative modulation will be 100% straightforward and they'll mirror each other as in pure octaves, for example. I love it the way it is because it's musically useful without giving us headaches.