Looking for help trying to understand how Drambo handles "Voices".

I'm working on a virtual, vintage-type, "sound card" synth.

I'm using a layer mixer with a pair of voice selectors on each layer to separate the voice and gate signals to achieve round-robin capability. This works great as long as the layer mixer is the last module on the rack.

I've been trying to work out a way to put an ADSR envelope after the layer mixer, but it seems that once the original poly signal has been separated, there's no way to recombine it back into poly after the layer mixer, in. order to run it through a single Amp ADSR.

Programing the multiple AMP ENV's in this thing is a b!tc# on multiple layers (the virtual sound cards).

I've worked out methods of using Knobs, AMP's, and Mixer controls in front on the layer mixer, to use as remote controllers. But without the (hopefully coming soon) router, switch, splitter, and any other such controls. I end up with a very long rack of Knobs, Amps, and Mixers being used as controllers for the modules inside the layer mixer.

My main question....

I want to make sure I've tried all options before I make my final build using the remote controller method.

How does Drambo handle Voice/Gate pairing? I've been imagining it being like twisted pair wiring, where one wire of the twisted pair carries a single voice, and it's pair carries the Gate time for that voice. But once you unravel the pair in the layer mixer, you can't twist them back together again.

Can someone please provide some basic examples for using the "Mono to Poly" , and the "Poly to Mono" modules? I have no idea how these to modules are intended to be used?

I love the challenge of this puzzle. But I'm not sure there is a solution that allows each layer of the layer module to somehow exit with gate/voice pairing so in can be fed through a single ADSR, or any other modules that require an "intact" poly signal to function independently for each voice.

Comments

• add a vca before the layer mixer. So every voice selector is getting its input from the vca instead of the free running sound source.

in some cases it may also make sense to add a midi to cv module after the layer mixer with one voice, and then a vca. You may or may not need a poly to mono for the signal. Then add an asdr. It will only look for one voice so every gate will open it :)

• edited May 2020

Thanks Ben! ADSR before the Layers works fine (I had vintage synth with ADSR as the last stage stuck in my mind). I tested it against a version with the ADSR at the end of each layer, and they sound exactly the same.

I've been stuck on this for four days. Now I can final continue with my final design.

Any chance of a simple general example of how the "Mono to Poly" module can be used? I can't figure that one out.

Thanks again. :)