Feedback Module?

There’s good reason signals can’t be routed back in the chain by default. I think that’s been covered. What I’m wondering is this, would a dedicated feedback module be a possibility?

What I’m thinking is something along these lines, one instance of the feedback module is placed at the point where the signal is taken, another feedback module is placed earlier in the chain. The modules have a given ID, like a variable name. This enables the two modules to identify themselves as a routing. It would be impossible to casually enable a feedback situation accidentally and by using dedicated modules, would be clear where feedback routing is enabled. A wet/dry knob would determine how much signal gets passed forward at either end. Perhaps there could be some inbuilt clipping protection to stop the signal getting too hot.

Comments

• edited May 2020

Instant 1 sample delay is not possible and won't be. Its not possible to have stereo polyphonic processing with instant feedback, because this kind of processing is extremely CPU heavy.

However...

You may use Delay rack to feedback signal with delay (min.10ms).. e.g. modulate Oscillator frequency inside delay rack with delay rack internal audio output (on the left) = self modulation with delay. Most probably I will add 2 modules for delayed feedback send. Its not the same as "quasi instant" feedback.

• Wow, you were keeping that Delay rack trick quiet 😉 Sorry if the feedback question keeps popping up and the answer is always the same. I seem to remember it probably did..

• Hah, I forgot about this.. but yes, you may put any generator inside, e.g. LFO, Oscillator and modulate it with feedback.

• The delay rack has a hidden route back to the track audio input? That’s how I’m getting this working.

• One way to emulate feedback to some extent that is often possible is to use parallel signal paths with one path doing the original processing and additional paths duplicating the original processor as often as you like, all chained up and all mixed in the end if desired. It really depends what processors you want to use feedback with.

That's what I've been doing with good success.

• Thanks for the tip, I’m always up for another experiment 😀