Controlling other Apps via midi cc with "note values" 1 to 124

I build https://patchstorage.com/midi-xy-pad-via-note-values/ to control synth settings of Korg Gadget 2 and Moog Model D via Drambo.

Normally Drambo seems to send values from 0.0 to 1.0. These values can’t control the other apps because they need “midi note values” from 1 to 124.

The pitch module transforms the default values to “midi note values”.

Is there a better way to do this?

Comments

• edited May 2020

Doesn't the CC Generator with MIDI Output do this for you? You need to enable MIDI Out instead of (--) at the top of MIDI Output.

• edited May 2020

No, it's not about sending MIDI CC but about avoiding lots of guesswork due to the fact that you don't know which decimal signal value maps to which MIdi. controller message value.

I've suggested to introduce an additional display to not only see the decimal but also the resulting CC value without having to do many calculations.

For now, you can always use the Graphic Shaper module to create your own mapping, or use the CV scaler.

• Thanks a lot.

I thought the output is 0.00 to 1.00 but the actual output seems to be 1-124. Like you said.

So the pitch module doesn’t help and it works just without it.

Thanks for the hint to the graphic shaper and cv scaler. I will try this.

• If you want an internal (0-1) CV value that exactly matches the value (0-127) in the CC message, you could quantize it like this:

This multiplies the value (using LFO for example) by 128, quantizes to the nearest integer, then divides it back down. One advantage of this is that it reduces the number of CC messages, since a message is only sent when the output value actually changes. Otherwise, any change in the CV triggers a new CC message. This Midiflow Monitor log shows this:

By the way, it looks like the Drambo MIDI monitor displays the values in the internal (0-1) format; a little confusing but internally consistent.

It might be interesting to quantize with fewer levels, say 10 or 16, making the control of the other app more glitchy.

• Great idea @uncleDave regarding a scaled quantizer!

Yes, my request included more useful displays in MIDI monitor.