Korg nanoKEY Studio

Im looking for a Bluetooth controller.

Someone here use the Korg nanoKEY Studio with Drambo?

Does everything work?

Looks like a great combo regardless the solidity, global quality...

Comments

• From the official manual knobs send Midi CC 0 to 127

• I use it, works great at least for my needs.

• I have one and I tested the knob resolution when I purchased it. IIRC, even though the range is from 0-127, the resolution is 64 meaning that it sends only odd or even values.

Usability-wise I didn’t find that to be a problem. I think it could be noticeable with very slow sweeps, but otherwise it’s fine.

• I've just made a small DJ controller with knobs, buttons, (cross)faders and incremental jog wheels a Bluetooth device and it's able to send more than 600 MIDI messages per second over Bluetooth without a problem so I wonder why KORG would artificially lower the knob resolution. When you have a filter with higher resonance or just an oscillator pitch knob, 64 steps will sound coarse.

• When you do slow sweep you can definitely hear stepping. Here is a quick video I just made as a demonstration (this is with Bluetooth, but wired connection makes no difference):

• Would the AKAI MPC Keys or MPK Mini be an option?

The Arturia Keystep Pro also looks like a great hardware sequencer for Drambo but it's quite large and not cheap...

• Yes, but this is the most extreme case - full resonance and slow sweep. If you pull back the resonance the stepping is not as audible (with resonance at 50% I don’t hear stepping).

• One significant limitation of the NanoKEY Studio is you can't change the midi channel on-board. Well, to be correct, you can hook up to a Mac or PC and set different channels for the eight scenes, but that isn't ideal.

Not a problem if using "Receives MIDI: Active Track" in Drambo, but if you want to control each track on separate midi channels, you have to cobble something together with a tool like mfxConvert to deal with the NKS limitation.

I will never purchase another MIDI controller that doesn't have channel switching from on the device.

• Ok thanks I understand.

There are no Bluetooth midi controler with keyboard like the nanokey studio.

An other solution could be an Arturia Keystep powered via power bank and adding a Yamaha MBT-01 for the Bluetooth between my IPad Air3 and the Keystep.

But the keystep haven’t Pots and or fader 😕

If someone can tell me another controler with the ability to change the midi chanel on board with Midi Out.

• recrec
    edited May 2020

Novation Launchkey mini can I believe, but it's wired midi.

• edited May 2020

@hkor That's what I did last year:

Keystep, Quicco mi.1 Bluetooth and the parts of an old NI 4Control MIDI controller that also merges incoming data with the MIDI from the Keystep so I can use both over Bluetooth.

If you can't find a 4Control, the old C-MEXX MIR controller would be another nice option to fit into the Keystep. (ebay.com lists one in Ohio atm, item number 352143059564)

There's quite some space left for a pcb under the touch strips.

• 🤪 Amazing, yes I see your post in another forum speaking thins MOD.

Unfortunatly i live in Réunion Island near Madagascar and the cost for shipping is more expensive than the product 😨

Their are no other keyboard controler with pots with changing MIDI Chanel fashion and MIDI out port?

I don’t really need MIDI IN port.

Maybe an ardunio solution but my goal is to have a light portable controler 🧐

• @hkor Hmm, depends on which keyboard controllers are available in your country..

• @hkor as mentioned above, novation launchkey mini can both change midi channel from the front panel and has midi out. Midi out is on a 3.5mm jack with no adapter provided though.

I'm not sure if bluetooth adapters work through the midi adapter cable, never tried that. CME has one in pre-order which can disconnect midi in from midi out made specifically for keyboards that only have midi out: https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-master/

• edited May 2020

3.5mm via adapter works exactly the same if it's a proper MIDI port.

MIDI out is good enough, you can use any BT MIDI dongle pair (Quicco, Yamaha) and only connect it to the MIDI out port, leaving the second plug open. MIDI input alone would be different because a MIDI IN port provides no power.