TR-909 Style Mostly-Synth Drum Set

I took a crack at creating a TR-909-ish drum set using synthesis for all but the hats and cymbals. I can't honestly say it sounds better than kits I've made from samples, but I had fun and learned a lot. There is an instrument rack for each sound on the TR-909. The upload is a project file.

cheers πŸ‘πŸΌ

https://patchstorage.com/tr-nine-o-mine/

Comments

• Oh, forgot to mention, the hi-hats are set to play Closed on C2 and Open on D2 on the same channel. This is a kludge to get around there not being choke groups. If anyone spots a better way to do it, I'm open.

• Simple solution for chokes... envelope decay on oh is modulated by gate from hh. If you'll decide to go synthesised all the way. Same can be used for samples, you just need an env with decay that can be modulated.

• Simple solution for chokes... envelope decay on oh is modulated by gate from hh. If you'll decide to go synthesised all the way. Same can be used for samples, you just need an env with decay that can be modulated.

Thanks @rec, that's great as it can cross tracks. Can it be bi-directional though ... so that the OH chokes the CH too?

I don't plan to go with synthesis on the hats and cymbals. The original didn't either, and the goal was to try to come as close to the original as I could.

• Unfortunately it can't be bi-directional due to "no feedback loop" restriction. Connections can only go from left to right and from top to bottom.

You can however set tracks above to choke anything below. For example using main track as choke trigger for all the tracks. It's not ideal from workflow pov, but a solution. Who knows maybe down the line giku has planned a specific solution for choke groups.

• And another way :)

• edited May 2020

Hm, if it’s samples drop both open and closed hh into the very same sampler. They will cut each other off ... no need for fancy routings, just set it to single voice

if it’s synthesis, just wiggle the decay , no need for separate open and closed things ;)

• How do you choose which to play? By note, I assume, which is how I did it. I used two samplers though so as to have separate pitch and volume controls.

The reason for looking for other approaches is to be able to play each on its own track using the sequencer for each track, and not to have to pick a certain note for each.

• If you want to do that your gate signal should come from different tracks, which might be the case in The example @rs2000 gave (I should really take the time to wrap my head around these math thingies).

In the example I gave I know it works 🀷🏻‍♂️

• @denx, @number37 Exactly. The latest gate pulse from whatever track will switch to the audio of the according instrument. I've placed both instruments on track 2 (triggered by the gates of different tracks of course) but they could also be on different tracks if I routed both track outputs to the final "X-Fader" inputs.

• Sorry for the confusion. I was replying only to @lala's comment about using a single sampler, not to the other suggestions, which are all great ones as well. 😎