Phantatone. The final iteration

OK, this is the definitely the final additive synth from me for a while. I decided to make it a new patch because it departs quite radically from the previous efforts. I don’t want to be in the habit of announcing every little contribution to PatchStorage but I wanted to mention this because it’s likely to be the biggest synth patch I can see myself building for a while. It’s just going to get too crazy otherwise.

So here I’m using a single noise module to drive a bank of resonating band pass filters. I wasn't satisfied with the interaction between the pure tones and noise from earlier explorations. I wanted the sine waves to really disintegrate, not just be layered up or somehow modulated by noise but to be formed out of it, and to fall back into it. So I liked this idea, of using a huge resonant filter bank and a single source of noise.

The morphing element now has three harmonic profiles, like a beginning, middle and end. The idea of additive synthesis working like a wavetable has intrigued me ever since I got PPG Infinite. It’s in no way approaching that level of sophistication but I think it’s as far as I’d go here. Three’s a good number. There’s enough variation with that in addition to an inharmonic profile, which is to slightly bend individual pitches to create some interesting dissonances.

Again it’s quite heavy so limit polyphony and the stereo noise takes a hefty chunk though it does add some nice depth.

Comments

• Version 1.1

Renamed a few modules for clarity.

Simplified the modulation control, no less powerful just a lot easier to operate. (Much better, the original was wrong somehow).

Added a second partials frequency offset profile. (A whole second level of morphing potential).