How would I create a playable sequencer?

Hi Drambos,

A bit stuck here. How would I create a playable sequencer? That is, I hold down C and it plays a sequence of notes rooted in C. I then play G, and the same sequence plays but rooted in G. Etc.

Thanks

Comments

• This sort of thing?

• I have no idea! Would you be able to attach a preset for me to try it?

• It’s very straightforward. Try building it 😉

• edited June 2020

You’d want to plug the reset input on the sequencers into the gate output. I forgot to do that. If the pitch module could be modulated it would work better than the CV quantiser.

• Ok I'll try again, I was kind of making wild guesses about connections. I probably don't understand the modules enough. Thanks.

• edited June 2020

Sequencer modules need their clock input connected to the track's clock.

A gate signal (rectangle symbol) usually triggers a note, e.g. by triggering an Amp Envelope and the pitch signal (note symbol) defines its pitch, usually going to the pitch input of an oscillator.

Try adding a Gate/Velocity sequencer, connect clocks, add an oscillator and an Amp Env AHD.

Connect the Oscillator pitch input to the Gate/Velocity "V" output of the seq. and the Amp Env gate input to the gate output of the G/V sequencer. Yes, we're mis-using the velocity as a pitch signal here, just easier.

Now hit play and change the bars inside the sequencer. You will notice that it's extremely hard to adjust pitches in exact semitones. That's where the CV quantizer comes to the rescue.

The Math "ADD" module lets you add the track's pitch input to the sequencer signal in order to transpose the sequence but I recommend to start simple and first understand what all the signals do.

• edited June 2020

Here’s another approach which is maybe more musically useful.

Using Track 1 to supply the sequence and track 2, the active track, to transpose. The Add module is connected to pitch outputs. The gate and velocity connections to gate and velocity outputs on the MIDI to CV (Track 1) module. This MIDI to CV (Track 1) module is connected to the MIDI output on the track 1 header panel.

Remember C2 has a CV value of zero so the root note of the sequence needs to be C2.

• edited June 2020

Here it is, using cycle conditions on track 2 to create a simple progression.

• Thanks everyone, incredibly useful. I'll spend a bit of time with this information and see where I get to.